Assistant Professor in Education in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Washburn University
- Kansas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 4, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Education Administration & Leadership, Other Education, Special Education, Teacher Education
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position Title: Assistant Professor in Education in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Location: Washburn University
Application review is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
Position Summary: Washburn University’s Department of Education invites applications for an Assistant Professor in Education in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to begin August 1, 2023. This is a full-time 9-month, tenure-track position.
The selected candidate for this position will have a demonstrated commitment to pursuing teaching excellence at Washburn University, including a dedication to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds. Class sizes at Washburn are small, and students and faculty have the opportunity to participate in community-engaged learning.
Washburn University is a teaching-focused, student-centered, public institution that has earned national recognition for its high-impact programs for first-generation students and is located in the metropolitan setting of Topeka. Washburn has a student body of over 5,500 undergraduate, graduate, and law students, a significant and growing number of whom are first-generation and Pell-Grant eligible. The University has created educational pathways for all students to be successful and achieve their educational goals.
Washburn is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and cultivating a vibrant and inclusive working environment and curriculum. We offer competitive wages, an excellent benefits program, a supportive leadership team, and a healthy work/life balance. At Washburn, we strive to ensure a campus climate that supports the success of every employee and appreciates the unique skills and expertise each contributes to serving our students.
• Fulfill expectations for teaching and supervision (12 credit hours per semester).
• Teach and develop courses consistent with the needs of the Department of Education.
• Fulfill expectations to the Department of Education, School of Applied Studies, University, and the profession (including, but not limited to, committee work, advising students, maintaining regular office hours, participating in departmental governance, and meaningful participation in department-sponsored educational events).
• Fulfill expectations associated with a tenure-track appointment for scholarship.
• Earned doctorate in Education or closely related field (ABD will be considered with completion of the doctorate by May 2024)
• Expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion in the field of education
• Experience working with students and/or staff in PreK-6, PreK-12, 6-12, or post-secondary settings
• Proven ability to teach courses in two or more areas beyond expertise (including, but not limited to, educational foundations, STEM education, educational psychology, special education, literacy education, educational technology, or social studies education)
• Expertise with diversity/equity/inclusion-based models of teaching
• Demonstrated commitment to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds
• Experience supervising pre-service teacher candidates and/or practicum students in field placements
• Evidence of successful collaboration with colleagues to develop and deliver coursework
• Evidence of scholarly work related to the field of education, including but not limited to, peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations, research-in-progress
• Evidence of service to the profession, including committee work, advising students, and meaningful participation in educational events
• Evidence of successful co-teaching including co-planning, co-development of integrated content, co-assessment, co-evaluation procedures, and/or conferencing with students
• Experience teaching in hybrid, in-person, or online environments at a post-secondary institution
• Evidence of successful collaboration with pre-k, elementary, middle, and/or secondary faculty and staff within the school setting
• Experience working with school-university partnerships (such as PDS partnerships)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
All requested items must be uploaded via the application in the appropriate fields.
In your cover letter, explain your interest in teaching at Washburn, a statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of an active research agenda, examples of collegiality and inclusivity, and, if available, evidence of teaching effectiveness (such as official copies of student evaluations/reports).
Official transcripts are required at the time of hire.
• If you have questions about the position, please email Dr. Cherry Steffen, Department of Education chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Background Check Required
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in higher education.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Washburn University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants for employment. If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please email email@example.com or call 785-670-1538 at least five (5) business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert