Adjunct Faculty, User Experience Design (UXUI)
- Austin Community College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 4, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Design & Graphic Arts, Other Arts, Communications, Digital Media, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Computer Sciences & Technology, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable
access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to
facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Adjunct Faculty, User Experience Design (UXUI)
Job Description Summary:
Teaches introductory and advanced courses in the User Experience Design program area which may include (but are not limited to) subjects such as Interaction Design, Design Research, Information Architecture, Product Design, Prototyping, Visual Design and User Interface Design
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare and teach User Experience Design courses in the field of Visual Communication to a diverse student population based on the department's approved course learning outcomes. Courses may include:
- Interaction Design
- Design Research
- Information Architecture
- Product Design
- Visual Design
- User Interface Design
- Evaluate student progress and provide clear, timely feedback
reflecting program learning outcomes and departmental
- Provide teaching and mentoring services to students in a manner
that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability,
age, protected veteran status, political affiliation, or other
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the department chair, dean, and/or associate vice president, vice president, executive vice president.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications in the Mac
OS environment, online resources, and other technologies for the
- Demonstrated proficiency in industry standard user interface
design technologies such as Figma and the Adobe Suite.
- Preferred: Demonstrated proficiency using an online learning management system such as Blackboard to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, etc.)
- Meet deadlines for attendance certification and submission of
final course grades.
- Maintain regular office hours to assist students and improve
student retention and success.
- Recognize and reflect standards of civility and collegiality in
- Comply with published college policies and procedures and meet
professional standards for teaching in a community
- Appropriate use of the college's learning management system.
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in Art, Visual Communication,
Commercial Art, Computer Graphics, Graphic Design, Interactive
Technology, Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction or Interactive Design, English and/or Technical Communication, Interface Design, UI Design, Visual Design, User Experience Design, Web Design, or
- Bachelor’s degree in a related design, computer science, or art subfield
- Documentable 3 years non-teaching industry-relevant work experience.
- Documented evidence of training in digital media.
- Please submit with your cover letter a pdf portfolio or link to
a website of recent professional work including examples of visual
assets for print and digital applications. Your portfolio should
also highlight your role in the
- If you have teaching experience, please include examples of
student work and evidence of curriculum development.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Explain the role of a user experience designer as part of a
multi-disciplinary team to non-designers or new designers.
- Describe the best use of software tools for user experience
- Demonstrate strong interests and capabilities in the design and
development of engaging user experience for digital products;
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of contemporary
user-centered design methodologies such as user research,
participatory design, user interface design, prototype and testing,
and emerging specializations of the user experience design
An application must be submitted by the closing date for this position.
Criminal Background Check
Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all staff and faculty positions.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
- Work is routinely performed in an office/classroom environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Job Posting Close Date:
May 31, 2023 Clery Act
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account .
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert