The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Department Coordinator in the Fashion Department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Department Coordinator will provide a broad range of secretarial and administrative support to the Fashion Department. The incumbent will assist the Department Chairs and Associate Coordinator in managing the day-to-day operations of the department and other related tasks.
- Pedagogic entry and maintenance
- Prepare department minutes/agenda
- Assist Chair / Assistant Chairs with administrative responsibilities and confidential matters
- Alert payroll of any pedagogic issues
- Keep Assistant Chairs informed and advised of any problems/situations between students/faculty.
- Keep track of Chair and all dept. administrators' terms of office and required elections.
- Monitor and track tenure and promotions (T&P): attend meetings, prepare ballots, required forms, work with the T&P Committee Chair, Department Chair and Associate Coordinator for accurate and complete submissions to the Dean's Office.
- Assist with: various BRIO reports, calendar for advisement appointments, bi-tech, student issues/inquiries, special projects, contacting BFA applicants to set-up interview appointments and train/supervise work study students.
- Generate reports (e.g. class rosters, faculty id numbers, student grades, waivers) utilizing Brio/Banner.
- Advise students during registration with selecting classes or suggesting alternatives.
- Organize coverage for absent faculty according to AOP listing; contact substitute or work with the specific area Assistant Chair to make required changes and document and submit these changes into the FARS system.
- Assist the Associate Coordinator with monitoring classroom and machinery issues.
- Liaise with Buildings and Grounds regarding classroom infrastructure issues (e.g. climate control, leaks, health and safety hazards or issues).
- Manage ongoing issues and department activities supporting both the Chair and Associate Coordinator.
- Respond to inquiries regarding program questions and manage office main line, voicemail and department email.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of administrative work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong organizational skills and experience with organizing or contributing to office procedures.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Detail oriented and attentive to deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience working with Google Platform, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- 1-2 years of experience in an academic setting.
- Working knowledge of Banner, Blackboard, Brio and Finance Enterprise.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Constant; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Constant; Write- Constant
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment or classroom.
Sit- Frequent; Stand- Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Frequent; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift<10- Occasional; Lift 10-20- Occasional; Lift over 50- N/A; Reach- Occasional
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Salary Schedule 92; Successor Agreement (page 7)
Hiring Salary: $60,685 per year
Mid Range Salary: $75,308 per year
Maximum Salary: $87,683 per year
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, email@example.com.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.