Assistant/Associate Professor of Information and Library Science
Department: Information and Library Science
Rank: Assistant or Associate Professor
Search Number: 23-001
Specialization(s): Information and Library Science with expertise in information and communication technologies and innovative library technology applications. Candidates should have an excellent understanding of the role of the academic library in higher education as well as current issues and emerging trends in the field
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice and antiracism. Southern embraces the demographic diversity of the surrounding area by identifying as the social justice and anti-racist institution of Connecticut. SCSU is an innovative, student-centric university, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities
The Department of Information and Library Science of Southern Connecticut State University is seeking an outstanding, energetic, and innovative colleague to help guide the growth of its rapidly expanding online MLIS program and serve as the program’s internship coordinator. The successful candidate for this 10-month, tenure-track position will carry a 9.0- instructional load credit each semester with additional intersession options available. The candidate will help lead the development of an academic library track, which will include building a strong framework for its assessment.
Other responsibilities subject to periodic performance reviews include:
- Research productivity/scholarly/creative activity
- Contributing to the development of the curriculum in partnership with ILS colleagues
- Student advising
- Participation in department/university/professional committees
There is an expectation that all ILS faculty endeavor to develop connections across campus and the community to advance the mission of the Department and University.
The ILS Department is one of five departments in the College of Education and is focused on providing quality graduate education, including the development of in-service and post-graduate program offerings. The SCSU MLIS program is the only one in Connecticut and as a fully online program, it serves students from throughout New England, the country, and the world. In addition to the MLIS, the Department offers Connecticut school library media specialist certification.
- Ph.D. in information and library science or doctoral degree in a related area (impending graduation/defense acceptable)
- MLS or MLIS
- Evidence of scholarly, published peer-reviewed research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience teaching in/developing curriculum for an online environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, and staff
- Established research agenda that directly connects librarianship to issues of information/media/digital literacy, equity, and the digital divide
- Graduate-level teaching experience
- Familiarity with graduate internship program administration.
- Professional library experience in an academic library
- Experience working with cutting-edge library technology applications
- Interest in multi-disciplinary research and programmatic collaboration
- Demonstrated experience developing externally funded research and program initiatives
- Familiarity with the ALA accreditation process and related standards
Please submit a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, copies of official graduate transcripts, and a list of three references with email and phone contact information electronically to the ILS Search Chair at ILSsearch1@southernct.edu
Dr. Cindy Schofield is the Search Committee Chair, Department of Information and Library Science, Southern Connecticut State University, 501 Crescent Street, New Haven, CT 06515.
The position will remain open until filled.
Southern Connecticut State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.