Adult Educator- English as a Second Language (Part-Time)
- City Colleges of Chicago
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 3, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Other Education, Teacher Education, Humanities, English as a Second Language, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs
- Employment Type
- Part Time
ADULT EDUCATOR - ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL)
Truman College is seeking a Part-Time English as a Second Language (ESL) Adult Educator to provide instruction to students enrolled in our Adult Education Department. Adult Education is a comprehensive program of free classes for adult students who need to learn English and improve their basic literacy skills, obtain a GED certificate, prepare for the Citizenship, or gain the knowledge needed for transition to college and career pathways.
- Provides instruction in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses.
- Develops class syllabi and appropriate class materials and curriculum for class instruction.
- Takes attendance and monitors class enrollment.
- Evaluates student progress and extra instruction needs; refers student to tutoring as needed.
- Administers progress tests to students and assigns grades based on test results.
- Prepares reports to senior management regarding test scores, student participation and student progress.
- Stays abreast of pedagogy of teaching & adjusts teaching methods accordingly.
- Keeps abreast of state rules and regulations regarding Adult Education policies.
- Attends regular staff meetings with Adult Education Managers and Adult Education Deans to receive information regarding program policies and procedures.
- Assists with program registration.
- Participates in staff development programs as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university in English, Linguistics, TESOL, or a related field.
- M.A. in English, Applied Linguistics, TESOL, or a related field preferred.
- Standard-Proficient Instructor training for ESL preferred.
- International degree(s) evaluated by a certified provider (e.g. E.C.E., W.E.S., etc.).
- Official transcript(s) reflect sufficient subject-relevant coursework to teach the assigned course.
- Submit sample lesson plans, syllabi and/or teaching portfolio that reflect skills in area(s) of instruction, including computer literacy and adult learning practices.
- Resume reflects knowledge of current adult education classroom assessment techniques.
- Completed satisfactory teaching demonstration for the hiring committee.
- 15 graduate hours or more in the discipline that they will be teaching.
- Current enrollment in a subject appropriate, master’s degree program at an accredited university/college.
- Schedules vary.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in CCC!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert