The Strategic Engagement Hub at GMF brings together the work of communications and editorial, government relations, leadership programs, and strategic convening to achieve greater efficiency, synergy and strategic messaging. The work of this team is focused on expanding GMF’s outreach and visibility, and deepening GMF’s engagement with the alumni of our Leadership Programs (LP). The Strategic Engagement hub ensures all internal and external engagement reflects and widely promotes GMF brand: we are the living, breathing spirit of the Marshall Plan.
GMF seeks an internationally experienced alumni relations professional to build and lead a robust and impactful engagement program for our transatlantic alumni community. The Managing Director of Alumni Relations will galvanize the alumni community and serve as the key connector between the LP alumni and GMF experts and programs. They will plan and implement programs and projects that engage alumni, provide tangible benefits to the career growth of our alumni help highlight them in GMFs transatlantic communities, amplify the work of GMF experts, and contribute to developing alumni as potential donors.
- Contribute and serve as a thought leader for continued expansion and synergies within LPs and GMFs other transatlantic programming and innovate on strategies and events to engage alumni
- Partner closely with the Managing Director of LP and the LP team and the VP of Development to create alumni engagement opportunities and cultivate alumni as potential GMF donors.
- Lead all operations of the Alumni Relations program within the Strategic Engagement Hub
- Develop, coordinate, and evaluate programs and projects to promote alumni relations on both sides of the Atlantic
- Oversee the alumni database and ensure data integrity
- Monitor the financial standing and performance of alumni relations program budget
- Manage all alumni communication and publicity, including print and online publications targeted at alumni
- Represent LP and GMF at events for relationship building and that could serve as solicitation or stewardship opportunity with funders (networking, outreach, conferences)
- Manage an Alumni Relations coordinator responsible for building and maintaining the alumni contact list, overseeing mailings including invitations to events and newsletters
Knowledge and Skills Needed
- Proven experience in building/managing an international alumni relations and engagement program
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills, documented record of excellent customer/donor service, and demonstrated ability to build relationships
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a time sensitive environment, with diligence and accuracy
- Self starting, entrepreneurial, outgoing, creative, enthusiastic, and able to be flexible in a dynamic environment; collaborator across organizational levels and programs/offices.
- Exceptional knowledge of Microsoft Office, CRM and donor database software, experience with web based and crowdsourced fundraising vehicles desired
- Have a strong understanding of transatlantic relations, leadership development, and diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising principles and strategies, including best practices in the areas of donor relationship management, moves management, and major giving in Europe and the US
- Be fluent in English and proficiency in one to two other languages highly desired
- Significant travel required.
- Master’s degree is preferred but not required
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in alumni relations
- Proven experience developing and managing an alumni engagement program beyond the US
- Knowledge of the basic principles and foundations of marketing theory and practice
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Extensive and successful experience collaborating with volunteers including recruiting, training, and implementing strategies for volunteers so that they will be successful.
- Experience in nonprofit organizations and development
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to plan, organize, and facilitate unique events of every scale
- Ability to design and write promotional material
- Ability to plan and implement promotional programs
- Strong database management skills and ability to produce detailed report
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Strategic Engagement
We highly encourage individuals from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Historically, underrepresented groups include (but are not limited to) Black, Latinx/o/a/e, Indigenous, Asian, Arab, Middle Eastern, Pacific Islander, biracial, multiracial, female-identifying, the disability community, LGBTQIA+, and other marginalized identities.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At GMF we are dedicated to building a diverse and authentic workplace, so if you are excited about this role, but your experience does not align perfectly, we encourage you to apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles at GMF.