Manager, Marketing Project Management
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
This position is a hybrid position which allows the incumbent to
complete their work at both an NAU site, campus, or facility
at a non-centralized site with or without
NAU is seeking a PMP-Certified senior project manager with
supervisory experience to lead a team of PMP-Certified marketing
project managers. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Marketing
Project Management and Operations, this manager will lead project
management actions that advance marketing effectiveness, work
collaboratively with the Assistant Director to identify areas for
department growth and improvement, and supervise a team of five
This position guides the management of marketing projects and
initiatives, while ensuring effective use of marketing staff,
tools, and resources. Additionally, the position directly
supervises project management team members, overseeing program
and/or project scope, timeline, and budget to meet client
objectives; oversees scheduling and resource tracking for the
marketing project management team to ensure quality and timely
services are provided; and manages deliverable planning,
production, and delivery by coordinating efforts of creative,
digital, and client teams to meet project objectives while adhering
to university quality and brand standards.
Functional Management - 35%
- Plays an essential role in leading the implementation of
project management strategies, from day-to-day initiatives to major
- Collaborates with marketing colleagues, subject matter experts,
and stakeholders to develop project plan, timeline, risk
management, and other key elements for both routine and non-routine
- Conducts risk analyses and monitors the progress of plans
against project milestones and budgets.
- Serves as a point of escalation on key projects or
- Monitors the health of the project management team's project
portfolios, leads portfolio analyses, and drives efficiencies.
- Manages PMO resources, including vendors (as assigned).
- Oversees high priority marketing-related projects or programs;
monitors assigned project budgets and documents project
- Ensures that projects are completed to specification, within an
established time frame and budget.
- Communicates and updates project data to ensure team and
management-level access to accurate and timely information.
- Leads hiring committee(s) for PMO job openings.
- Leads project meetings, such as project kick-off and status
Supervision/Mentoring - 30%
- Supervises and coaches a 5-member marketing project management
team in planning and managing marketing projects and
- Responsible for task assignment and coordination.
- Ensures staff are trained to be effective and efficient in
their work; conducts performance reviews; develops and supports
employee development plans and performance goals; monitors employee
interactions and promotes a productive, inclusive work environment;
identifies potential performance and employee relations issues; and
applies institutional HR and talent policies and practices.
- Assists team in gathering and analyzing project requirements
related to budget and timeline; manages and updates project data
using PM systems; analyzes and communicates project and
portfolio-level status and risks; and identifies and optimizes
processes and tools.
- Applies knowledge of employee regulations, policies, and
Leadership - 30%
- Recommends and contributes to the development of policies and
procedures related to marketing services; promotes and enforces
established project workflow processes, procedures, and best
- Defines, coordinates, and enforces systems, policies, and
- Leads documentation and training programs related to University
Marketing business processes.
- Maintains currency in leadership trends and best practices,
applying to all facets of leadership, from team supervision and
culture to business innovation and impact.
- Demonstrates alignment with NAU's values and commitment to the
marketing department's guiding principles.
- Applies team- and solution-oriented approaches to
problem-solving; proactively identifies opportunities for tighter
cross-team alignment on priorities, resources, process
- Serves as point of escalation for assigned functional
- Understands and applies knowledge of appropriate handling of
university marketing information and various marketing requests
from all university units.
Other - 5%
- Performs various other duties neccessary for the effective
operation of the department.
- May provide consulting and support for major institutional
- May represent University Marketing on various committees, work
groups and employee forums.
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
- 1-2 years of management or supervisory experience.
- 2-4 years of relevant project management experience.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from
Project Management Institute (PMI).
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Master's degree in related field.
- 6 years of relevant experience.
- Coursework specific to project management.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of marketing project management best
practices, principles, tools, and industry trends.
- Strong knowledge of technical project management concepts,
technologies, and trends.
- Awareness of higher education industry trends in marketing and
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Expert-level experience with a variety of project management
methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, etc.)
- Expert-level skills with project/issue management products (eg,
ServiceNow Portfolio/Project Management, Workfront, MS Project
Professional, Jira, Trello, Slack, MS Teams).
- Strong planning, organizing, coordinating, and facilitating
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral, presentations,
training delivery, etc.).
- Demonstrated mediation, negotiation, and conflict management
- Proficiency in Wordpress and Microsoft Office Suite (Word,
- Analyzes complex situations and anticipates issues.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving, organizational, and
- Delegates effectively and assigns work appropriate to
- Motivates and empowers staff and facilitates communication
across individuals and teams.
- Uses impartial judgement, diplomacy, and equity while working
with various stakeholders.
- Pays close attention to detail in work productivity while
remaining flexible for big picture/systems thinking.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Works in a dynamic, collaborative and deadline-driven
- Organizes and coordinates work within schedule constraints and
handles emergent requirements in a timely manner.
- Monitors project budgets and documents project expenses.
- Performs quality assurance and quality control.
- Learns and applies new techniques to work assignments.
- Communicates effectively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
- Approaches change and new situations as positive opportunities
for learning or growth.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination
requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal
court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent
executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees
of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For
current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please
visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $62,996 to $78,745. Annual salary
commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an
excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and
vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement
System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and
10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is
available on the Human
Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free
campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis,
renewable each 6 months according to
terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
offered a position will be eligible for state health plans
(including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible
on the first day of the pay period following their
enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31
days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee
chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona
State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following
6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who
choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which
is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed
staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment.
Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the
ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
December 19, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606644&PostingSeq=1