- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 2, 2022
Reporting to the College of Science (CoS) Director of Research and Operations and receiving work lead direction from Director of Moss Landing Marine Labs (MLML), the Resource Manager, functions with autonomy and provides oversight of the MLML state-side, SJSU Research Foundation (SJSURF) and SJSU Tower Foundation (SJSUTF) budgets, personnel, and operations. The primary responsibilities include budget and fiscal management, personnel, operations, and oversight of facilities. This position collaborates closely with the CoS dean’s office leadership, and provides guidance and advice to the MLML Director and staff on the efficient use of resources to optimize operation, implements college and campus policies, and serves as approving official with delegated authority. The incumbent works with the MLML Director to oversee the administrative activities for MLML and supervises key personnel who work on a wide variety of events, programs, activities, and special projects as assigned. The incumbent also works broadly with the leadership and staff in the college and adopts continuous process improvement (CPI) to achieve business optimization and enhance the effectiveness of services offered at MLML.
- Performs fiscal analysis related to budgets, funding, and critical projects for all state, federal, SJSURF and SJSUTF (auxiliary) funding
- Develops and implements processes to audit transactions and resolve discrepancies across accounts
- Prepares reports that outline and clarify the financial position of MLML, including state, federal and auxiliary funding
- Advises the Director of MLML with regards to CSU and SJSU policy and procedures related to budget administration. Creates and reviews proposed budgets, salaries and personnel actions to ensure conformance with established SJSU guidelines and collective bargaining agreements
- Develops and administers the MLML salary and operating budgets for SJSU, SJSURF and SJSUTF in collaboration with the Dean’s Office and appropriate University departments
- Develops future budget models and ensures that all budgets are appropriately balanced quarterly and at the end of each fiscal year
- Serves as the Appropriate Administrator for multiple staff employees at MLML and as the liaison between MLML and the College, University Personnel, SJSURF and SJSUTF
- Manages matters pertaining to staff performance evaluations, collective bargaining agreement interpretation, grievances, complaints, disciplinary actions, and other personnel issues in close consultation with the dean’s office and University Personnel
- Manages and oversees MLML facilities in collaboration with the dean’s office and FD&O, and ensures that SJSU policies and procedures are followed
- Updates facility databases (faculty office utilization, classroom, administrative and research space)
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical concepts, reports, and legal documents
- Ability to develop, recommend, and implement techniques and practices to improve the areas of fiscal and personnel responsibility to ensure optimum performance
- Ability to respond to difficult inquiries or complaints from regulatory agencies or members of the university community
- Ability to maintain contact with customers and solicit feedback for improved services and to maximize productivity through use of appropriate tools
- Ability to develop resources that create timely and efficient workflow; and develop and recommend budget
- Ability to prepare and effectively present analysis of budget, enrollment, planning and related data as well as information to the campus community
- Ability to identify problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and interpret a wide range of information and data
- Ability to initiate and implement plans to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to develop, communicate, and maintain guidelines and procedures to support the functions of MLML and the college, while operating as part of a team
- Demonstrated knowledge and ensure compliance with local, state, federal, campus, and California State University (CSU) policy and guidelines to establish and implement appropriate procedures
- Ability to train staff to understand processes and procedures related to budget, personnel, facilities, and other relevant aspects of this position
- Ability to work cooperatively as a member of the MLML management team with dean’s office leadership to achieve agreed upon goals and objectives
- Ability to recommend initiatives and changes to improve quality and services for MLML and the college
- Ability to work with other units, departments, and the college to coordinate workflow and activities to insure a seamless operation
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum three (3) years of manager experience
- Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Minimum four (4) years of budget experience including budget projections and analysis
- Experience with SJSU financial systems or similar (PeopleSoft, data warehouse, CHRS, etc.)
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 02, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert