The Controller supports the Vice President of Finance and Chief
Financial Officer in all aspects of the college's budget,
procurement, accounting, treasury / investment / banking, student
accounts billing and collections, financial reporting, audit, and
financial internal control functions. This position creates,
approves, and/or implements financial policies and procedures to
comply with federal and state laws, regulations, policies and
practices. The Controller works closely with the VP of Finance and
CFO for the development and implementation of strategic long-term
planning/visioning and short-term goals and objectives for the
college’s financial operations.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs, oversees, and coordinates the maintenance of all
financial records, reports and accounting services for all student
and College financial resources.
- Supervises the preparation and timely submission of required
federal, state, and local financial reports including, but not
limited to, the annual financial report, cost analysis report, and
other reports as requested.
- Ensures appropriate internal controls and segregation of duties
are in place with respect to such activities as, but not limited
to, payroll processing, cash and treasury management activities,
and other financial management activities.
- Responsible for keeping accurate and timely accounting records
in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, the
Governmental Accounting Standards Board, and rules and regulations
established by the State of Florida and institutional policies and
- Oversees the student accounting, cash handling, and bad debt
- Oversees month-end and fiscal year-end closes and
reconciliation of all asset and liability accounts on a daily to
- Ensures accurate and timely vendor payments, expenses
reimbursements, student refunds, and other disbursements as
- Manages, oversees, and makes recommendations on the College’s
invested funds and depository accounts.
- Assists in providing procurement expertise and service to
campus departments and identify and secure institution-wide cost
savings and quality enhancements.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget and prepares
subsequent budget amendments.
- Develops and provides training to ensure sound financial
practices and internal controls are understood and followed.
- Initiates and recommends changes to College policies and
procedures on matters affecting areas of responsibility.
- Prepares and submits District Board of Trustees agenda items
within area of responsibility requiring the approval of the
President or the District Board of Trustees.
- Recommends the hiring, training, coaching, performance
management, promotion, and transfer of assigned staff.
- Performs other duties as may be required or assigned.
Master’s degree from a regionally or nationally
accredited institution in Accounting, Finance, or Business
Administration or related field. Five years of supervisory
experience. Five years of progressively responsible experience in
financial or accounting management and reporting.
Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license.
Five years of progressively responsible experience in financial or
accounting management and reporting in higher education.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
1. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
2. Public relations and presentation skills.
3. Leadership and supervisory skills.
4. Excellent skills in Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Excel, Word,
PowerPoint) and ability to become proficient in MS Teams.
5. Excellent planning, organizational and attention to detail
skills; ability to anticipate outcomes.
6. Ability to use appropriate technology to organize, synthesize,
and communicate data.
7. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal
8. Demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to deal with
ambiguity, resolve complex problems, and effectively manage
9. Ability to successfully develop and manage relationships at all
levels of the organization and influence a variety of
10. Ability to consult with, challenge, and influence management to
align processes and practices with college objectives.
11. Ability to maintain discretionary judgment in dealing with
12. Ability to meet deadlines and work independently in a
fast-paced multi-priority environment.
13. Ability to exhibit a professional, courteous demeanor.
14. Committed to working in a multicultural environment.