The overall purpose of this position is to maintain boiler plants
and all associated equipment to include but not limited to burners
both oil and gas, pumps, ventilation, and all related DDC controls.
Minimum starting salary $46,800.
Examples of Duties
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces hot water system components,
condenser, and chilled water systems, including pumps, control
valves, heat exchangers, and related controls.
- Enters and tracks maintenance work orders using computerized
maintenance management system, including work status, labor and
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces air-moving, heating, cooling,
humidification, and filtering equipment and systems such as fans,
heat pumps, fan coil units, rooftop packages air conditioning
units, solar panels, electronic and pneumatic modulating
thermostats, pressure and volume controls.
- Maintains, repairs and replaces low- and high-pressure boilers
combustion and control systems.
- Fabricates tubing or piping for pneumatic control systems,
which may involve soldering, brazing, welding, etc.
- Operates energy management or building automation systems that
control heating and cooling systems.
- Reads and records gauge readings on various types of
- Performs minor installation or modification work on heating and
cooling systems and controls, including planning the work;
estimating the cost of the work; and ordering the materials,
supplies, and equipment required.
- Inspects work site and plans work with consideration for impact
on other trades and occupants.
- Modifies and controls systems in an effort to improve
efficiency and reduce costs.
- Must be able to participate in on-call duty rotation.
- Assists in snow removal from roads and walkways using snow
plows, snow blowers and other equipment.
- Performs preventative maintenance in an effort to increase
efficiencies and reduce downtime performs related duties as
- General Maintenance duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma.
Certifications: Master Oil Burner Technician with the following
authority, #1 and #2 oils over 15 gallons per hour. Propane and
Natural gas Technician with the authorities to install and service
propane and natural gas appliances over 500,000 BTU's per
- Experience using computers, tools and equipment related to this
job description is required.
- Five years of experience in commercial boiler operation or
related experience preferred.
- Knowledge of refrigeration theory and computation of heating
and cooling loads and capacities.
- Ability to use hand tools and testing/measuring devices
associated with this position.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings
and technical instructions.
- Ability to accurately maintain equipment inventory and history
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and to present facts
clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to respond to after-hour call-ins for snow removal
operations and/or other emergencies in a timely manner.
- Must possess a valid Maine driver's license.
- Must be able to work well independently or as part of a team
and adhere to university policies.
- Must have regular and punctual attendance.
- Must be able to work overtime, weekends, and nights when
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required
to continuously reach
and work overhead. The employee is also required to frequently
stand, walk, balance,
stoop, kneel, crouch, climb stairs and ladders (with heights from 4
to 12 feet), talk, and
use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel. The employee is also
required to occasionally
sit, crawl, climb into and out of the waste collections truck,
operate foot controls on
automobiles and equipment, push/pull and lift/carry equipment that
weighs up to 50
pounds, and work while on ladders, staging, and lifts. Specific
vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth
perception, and ability to
The work environment includes changes in temperature and/or
humidity; exposure to
dust, fumes, and gases; unprotected heights; being near moving
automotive equipment; working around chemical, mechanical, or
working with toxic and/or caustic chemicals; and being in close
proximity to potentially
infectious materials, including blood, vomit, and urine.
The employee is required to continuously use written and verbal
frequently relate to others; use reasoning, math and language
skills; and make
independent judgments as needed.
This position may require the employee to use computers, hand
tools, electrical tools,
vehicles, yard equipment, boilers, fans, air compressors, pumps,
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee may occasionally be required to work irregular hours,
and work hours
may be adjusted to meet the needs of the university.
1 College Circle Bangor, ME, 04401