Franklin University Switzerland (FUS) seeks a globalist, dynamic, mission-driven director, aligned with FUS’ institutional values to serve as the Director of Advancement. The Director will report to President Samuel Martín-Barbero. In partnership with the President and the Chair of the Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Director will lead all FUS development, alumni relations, and parent relations strategies across the world. The Director will serve as a key member of the President’s Cabinet senior leadership team integrated by the areas of Academic Affairs, Student Life, Admissions, Finance & Administration, Marketing and Executive Education.
FUS is an international, inclusive, student-centered, private (non-profit) and residential Liberal Arts and Sciences university located in Switzerland. FUS is accredited in both the USA by MSCHE and Switzerland. Its undergraduate majors, pre-professional programs and research agenda in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are informed by a strong interdisciplinary and experiential learning approach. A commitment to courses of study that are global in perspective and cross-cultural in content has been the cornerstone of the education model since its founding in 1969.
Mindset, competence, and experience
- Passion and vocation for higher education. Proven experience in fundraising with major donors (individuals, foundations, corporations and research agencies) in the US and internationally.
- Capacity to work creatively and collaboratively with other team members across physical distances and time zones, as well as across national and cultural differences. Ability to interact easily and ethically with individuals at all levels.
- Ability to organize and manage a diverse range of assignments and initiatives with high efficiency, yet thorough attention to detail and follow through. Documented success in personally implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation strategies leading to successful gift closure with individual and/or institutional prospects.
- Proven expertise in effective solicitation, grant writing and stewardship actions. Donor giving capacity using digital research tools and industry standard software; capacity to work with information systems and databases to fully exploit the use of segmentation for solicitations; ability to analyze and communicate data.
- Commitment to staying abreast of state-of-the-art thinking and research in fundraising and constituent relations strategies through engagement with other professionals, industries, corporations, foundations and university associations.
Key responsibilities and duties:
- Serve as an active member of the President’s Cabinet, representing the University as a whole, in the important deliberations of this group as they advise the President. As a key member of the President's Cabinet, participate in strategic planning, execution, assessment, and work collaboratively with leadership across the institution to support key University priorities and development opportunities.
- Support and supervise all advancement activities, managing engagement of prospects for main University priorities, providing research, and conferring on strategies.
- Expand, update and maintain FUS’ Alumni database. Capture and enhance the professional history of FUS graduates.
- Ensure the effective and efficient team-planning and execution of FUS development plans and events both on and off Campus.
- Articulate advancement methods, goals and objectives to the wider University community, including members of the Board of Trustees, faculty and staff.
- Supervise the overall resource development strategy (annual fund; major gift and planned giving activities; corporate and foundation grant seeking; data management; gift recording and receipting; donor research program; stewardship; and capital campaigns) to meet the prioritized goals set forth in the University’s strategic plan.
- Create lifelong stakeholders in the FUS mission by developing new/strengthening existing relationships with and services for alumni, parents, families, and friends.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive annual plan for the work of the advancement office; set fundraising goals and non-financial objectives; assess and report to the President and the Board on results.
- Actively engage with and manage an international portfolio of prospective donors across the world by engaging in personal cultivation, solicitation, closing of gifts, and stewardship.
- Produce, update and maintain call reports for all prospective donors that have been approached.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive gift acceptance and documentation policy, ensuring compliance with regulations of tax and audit authorities whose jurisdictions are relevant to the activities of the University
- Liaise with the Vice President for Finance & Administration and his/her staff regarding the proper recording of gifts and pledges, creation of perpetual contract agreements, and support of annual University audits. Develop and monitor the Development budget; oversee the management of the budgets for Annual Giving and Alumni/Parent Relations offices.
How to apply
Candidates are asked to submit the following documents in PDF format to ADVsearch@fus.edu by November 30, 2022.
- Full CV detailing academic and professional qualifications and relevant achievements.
- One-page cover letter followed by a one-page essay or video addressing the topic of challenges and opportunities for advancement in higher education and Liberal Arts Education.
- Contact information of four references.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed via videoconferencing and/or invited to campus for in-person interviews with the senior leadership team, academics, staff and students.
Education and Qualifications:
- Accredited Bachelor's and Master’s degree (any field/discipline)
- At least eight years of senior executive experience in advancement/development, in higher education with the supervising of staff members and/or volunteers.
- Proficiency with donor data management programs and office computer skills. Ability to utilize Raiser’s Edge, Wealth Engine and GuideStar.
- Experience living or travelling outside native country desirable
- Ability to preferably communicate in a foreign language.
Full-Time, competitive salary and benefits. Applicants can expect a welcoming, international and intercultural working and academic environment filled by a strong sense of companionship and belongingness.