Director of Student Success & Academic Advising
- Florida Memorial University
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 2, 2022
The Director shall have the primary responsibility for supporting student success, career preparation, and resolving academic-related matters pertinent to student engagement, matriculation, and retention. Manages the Center for Academic Resources and Support toward optimizing the University’s retention systems and meeting institutional goals. This management role is responsible for animating professional staff in delivering service excellence that supports the needs of our University community. Demonstrates the professionalism needed to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
The Director will provide support in this capacity to the Provost and Associate Provost for Academic Affairs.
- Supervises a team of Retention professionals including Advisor-Advocates (4), FYE/Academic Success Coordinator, Skills Lab, and Testing Coordinator, Learning Interventionist, Writing Lab Coordinator, and the iROAR Career Services team.
- Manages designated university projects and initiatives related to Academic Affairs and Retention.
- Leads academic pathway partnerships involving student affairs and campus life.
- Collect, review and analyze data relative to the department for grant assessment and institutional effectiveness.
- Leads the Academic Standing Committee in conducting the annual Good Standing review for all students.
- Facilitate the selection of appropriate parameters for creating data-based class schedules that maximize student opportunities to engage in learning activities to include meeting needs for dates, times, instructional format, and timely completion.
- Collaborates with units across the college to strategically schedule courses and make curricular decisions that facilitate the attainment of student learning outcomes and improved completion of students.
- Oversight and development of the Honors Program.
- Monitors at-risk students and actively provides referrals for support services, providing timely outreach to students through a variety of communication methods.
- Provides vision and support to the Academic Success Coordinator and First-Year Experience team, including ensuring a robust New Student Orientation, freshmen seminar [FMU 101 & (FMU)102], peer advising, and more as identified.
- Provides vision and support for professional advisors and faculty advisors, bringing best practices to the FMU student experience and supporting optimal progression toward graduation.
- Provides functional leadership for Jenzabar Advising and Early Alert platform, including design, training, and troubleshooting (with technical support from IMT and Jenzabar Support Desk)
- Initiate, support, and encourage strong campus partnerships including Admissions, Athletics, Student Affairs, and Student Services (Registrar, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts) in order to design and facilitate a positive student experience
- Facilitates and/or mediates relationships between students, faculty, and other offices on campus, as needed.
- Teaches FMU 101 – University 101 – as assigned by the Associate Provost.
- Contributes to committees and teamwork for the good of the University.
- Provides quality customer service to all constituents of CARS.
- Maintains regular office hours per an approved schedule.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Academic Affairs (i.e Acadeum, Honors and Awards Program)
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
- Strong technology skills in students Microsoft Office products and advising software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with faculty, staff, and student populations.
- Exceptional customer service and organizational skills.
- Understands open-ended questioning, non-verbal communication, and active listening.
- Understands how to read and interpret reports and data.
- Presentation and public speaking skills.
- Strong computer and analytical skills.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is significant and dependable.
- Ability to interact with personnel at all levels of the university.
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Master's degree in education, psychology, social work, or related field and five or more years of experience (preferably) working in an academic advisory and supervisory role, preferably in a postsecondary institution, and understanding current trends in academic advising and higher education. Doctorate preferred.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office Suite, and LinkedIn Learning, as well as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with the Jenzabar technology suite for higher education
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert