Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychology
Southeastern Oklahoma State University’s Department of Behavioral Sciences invites applicants for a tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychology, with possible conversion to a remote Instructor position.
SUMMARY: We are excited to invite a new colleague to join our growing Psychology program. We are a small regional university serving a dynamic and engaged student population. SE is a minority serving institution in rural Oklahoma, with a high proportion of first-generation students. The program has an innovative applied psychology curriculum, designed to prepare our students for a range of human services positions as well as graduate school. We are looking for a faculty member that prioritizes student engagement and growth. Our department needs faculty that can contribute to our core content courses and research methods courses. The teaching load is four courses per semester (Fall and Spring), with opportunities to teach in Summer.
It may be possible to convert this to a fully remote non-tenure track instructor position; the teaching load would increase from four to five courses per semester (Fall and Spring).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Remain in compliance with all Southeastern policies and procedures in three main areas:
· Teach all assigned courses using engagement-based pedagogical practices
· Contribute to teaching Core Curriculum: Introduction to Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Lifespan Development, Social Psychology, or Multicultural Psychology
· Contribute to teaching Core Research Curriculum: Introduction to Research & Writing, Statistics in Behavioral Sciences, Research Methods
· Develop and teach specialty courses in area of expertise
· Must be comfortable utilizing instructional technologies
· Participate in departmental, school, and/or university activities or committees
· Advise undergraduate psychology majors and minors
· Define and maintain a modest research agenda that can support and encourage undergraduate research
· Supervise undergraduate student research projects
· Participate in research activities with publications and/or presentations specific to psychology
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
REQUIRED: Ph.D. in Psychology. Will consider ABD with completion of dissertation by May 2023.
· Professional with a primary focus on teaching, mentoring and student engagement
· Experience working with ethnically and culturally diverse populations
· Applied Specialization in Psychology, especially; cognitive, lifespan development, community, or clinical
· Experience teaching core psychology courses, such as: Introduction to Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Lifespan Development, Social, Multicultural Psychology, Statistics, or Research Methods
· Experience teaching in face-to-face and online formats
· Collegiality, effective interpersonal skills, and a positive attitude toward students
Founded in 1909 as a teacher college, Southeastern Oklahoma State University continues the strong tradition of producing outstanding educators for southeast Oklahoma and north Texas. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students and the campus is situated in rural Oklahoma. The main campus is located in Durant, Oklahoma, which is 80 miles north of Dallas, Texas, and 150 miles southeast of Oklahoma City. The community is close to Lake Texoma and the Choctaw Casino Resort. Southeastern Oklahoma State University continues to be among the nation’s most affordable universities, according to the U. S. News & World Report’s America’s Best colleges.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The start date is August 1, 2023. Review of applications will begin January 31, 2023 and continue until filled.
Southeastern offers a comprehensive benefits package including university paid health, vision, life insurance, long term disability, retirement contributions to Oklahoma Teachers Retirement System, as well as a tuition waiver for employees and spouse/dependents who wish to enroll at Southeastern. In addition to the SE paid benefits, there are many voluntary products available to employees such as 403(b), Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, dental, short term disability, dependent life insurance and a variety of ancillary benefits.
Employment is contingent upon the results of a national criminal and sex offender background check. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. SE participates in E-Verify.
SE is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
Notice to applicants:
If selected, official transcripts from each degree-granting institution will be required upon date of hire. It is Southeastern Oklahoma State University’s policy that all newly hired employees must provide an original social security card during the hiring process. Failure to provide an original social security card will delay the hiring process and ability to begin employment.