Open Until Filled
Department this Position Reports to
Facilities Operations & Management
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Schedule: 2:00pm – 10:30pm Friday – Tuesday with Wednesday /
Location of Position
Hanover, NH 03755
6 Vox Lane
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Under supervision from the Custodial Squad Leader or Custodial
Supervisor, performs a wide variety of tasks; cleaning and
unskilled building maintenance, event set ups, and animal and
insect control, which include medium to heavy lifting activities
inside and outside a variety of the College’s facilities. These
facilities could include office space, laboratories, eating
facilities, public areas, auditoriums, etc. Implements recycling
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
1-2 years of experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- One year’s experience related to custodial work.
- Ability to operate and maintain heavy industrial cleaning
equipment (vacuum cleaners, powered scrubber, buffer, carpet
shampooer) and other hand operated tools.
- Ability to understand and or knowledge of safe use of various
chemical substances used in cleaning purposes and insect
- Familiarity or ability to learn different table/chair
arrangements for event set ups.
- Ability to work from an eight-foot step ladder, to clean light
fixtures, replace light bulbs, etc.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor, including
lifting and carrying light to medium weight objects.
- Must be willing to work mandatory overtime as required.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
- Must successfully complete the following training prior to
performing work to which the training relates: Hazard
Communication, Blood Borne Pathogens.
Custodial Supervisor, Travis Audis
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
UNION POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO SEIU UNION MEMBERS ONLY DURING THE
FIRST WEEK OF POSTING . AFTER ONE WEEK OF POSTING, IF THE POSITION
HAS NOT BEEN FILLED INTERNALLY, IT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE DARTMOUTH COMMUNITY .
OPEN TO UNION MEMBERS ONLY FROM (10/31/2022) THROUGH
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the
first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Schedule: 2:00pm – 10:30pm Friday – Tuesday with Wednesday /
Percentage Of Time
- On a daily basis or when appropriate: unlocks and locks
assigned spaces; cleans, mops, strips, waxes, and buffs all hard
surface floors e.g. stairways, public restrooms, kitchen areas,
laboratories, dining rooms, hallways; vacuums and shampoos carpeted
offices, hallways and common areas; washes windows (inside and
outside) in entrance halls; dusts office furniture and window
- On a daily basis: cleans public restrooms and showers; scours,
disinfects, and deodorizes toilet bowls and sinks; wipes and cleans
counters/vanities; polishes mirrors; replaces and stocks restroom
- On a daily basis: empties office and common area trash cans;
implements FO&M recycling procedures; picks up, bags, and
removes all trash inside building as well as loose trash around
building perimeters to designated areas.
- On an as-needed basis: Performs major set up and break down for
College events (e.g. on the average 30 8FT tables and 350 chairs);
sets up a variety of planned events based on the design of the
arrangement specified in the work order; sets up and places tables,
chairs, lecterns, podiums, dividers, platforms, coat racks,
- On an as-needed basis: cleans light fixtures and replaces light
bulbs, using a step ladder as necessary.
- Places covers on tables.
- On an as-needed basis: sweeps dirt and leaves and shovels snow
from walkways and spreads sand on walkways at least 3 feet from all
entrances to buildings at start of and throughout day.
- Sets traps to catch a variety of rodents and takes captured
rodents to outside area for release.
- Sprays inside and outside of buildings with various chemicals
to control insects.
- On an as-needed basis: keeps note of cleaning materials and
equipment needed to do the work.
- Notifies Squad Leader when more materials are needed or when
equipment is in need of repair or replacement.
- May, on occasion, act in the squad leader’s absence or assist
the squad leader.
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter