Open Until Filled
Building Repair Technician
Department this Position Reports to
Building Repair Shop
Hiring Range Minimum
$28.18 (Entry rate)
Hiring Range Maximum
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Schedule: 7:30am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday; Saturday/Sunday off
Location of Position
Dartmouth College Campus
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Under minimal supervision from the Carpenter Shop Supervisor or
Carpenter Shop Lead, the Building Repair Technician applies the
full range of carpentry, maintenance and painting skills and
techniques to repair, construct, alter, or maintain buildings and a
wide variety of structures. He/she may perform construction, repair
and painting of structures for which appearance, as well as
durability and function, are important such as doors, windows,
walls, window & door trim, and furniture.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
High School or equivalency
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- Two to three years of relevant professional carpentry, building
maintenance and painting experience, or the equivalent.
- Must have a valid drivers license and be able to qualify under
the terms of the Dartmouth Approved Driver policy.
- Must have successfully completed the following training prior
to performing work to which the training relates: Blood Borne
Pathogens; Hazard Communication; Lock-out/tag-out; Personal
Protective Equipment ; Asbestos Awareness; Lead Paint training
- Working knowledge of and skill in all aspects of the carpentry,
building maintenance and painting trades.
- Knowledge of all applicable safety regulations and procedures,
including safe use of various chemical substances used for routine
carpentry, maintenance and painting work.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a
service-oriented environment, have good communication skills and be
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor, including
lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to operate and maintain various hand operated
- Ability to work at heights.
- Willingness to work overtime when required.
- Knowledge of shop mathematics and skill to plan and measure
materials according to requirements and dimensions outlined in
- Skill in the use of tapes, rulers, and squares.
- Skill in the use of power tools, including drills and
- Ability to read building plans and sketches.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply building plans and
- Skill in maintaining tools, including sharpening methods.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
- Knowledge of and skill in standard surface preparation and
coating application methods and techniques, including the skills
necessary to meet specifications regarding match, texture,
decoration, thickness, and level.
- Knowledge of and requisite skills to build up, shape, and level
surfaces with metal and synthetic resins, plastics, and patching
- Knowledge of and requisite skill to obtain finely smoothed
surfaces with abrasive compounds, pumice, and rottenstone.
- Skill in matching, tinting, toning, and blending coating
- Skill in the use and maintenance of tools and equipment used to
sand, wire brush, scrape, spackle, and putty coat, and grade
surfaces, such as brushes, rollers, spray guns, trowels, screeds,
straight edges, viscosity testers, graining devices, and wet and
- Knowledge of safety regulations applicable to the use of
ladders, ropes, harnesses, and scaffolds and lifts..
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
UNION POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO SEIU UNION MEMBERS ONLY DURING THE
FIRST WEEK OF POSTING . AFTER ONE WEEK OF POSTING, IF THE POSITION
HAS NOT BEEN FILLED INTERNALLY, IT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE DARTMOUTH COMMUNITY .
OPEN TO UNION MEMBERS ONLY FROM (10/31/2022) THROUGH
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the
first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
- Works with standard measurements and specifications aided by
easily understood clear, specific instructions, templates, and
pre-cut or pre-planned materials.
- Measures, cuts, and installs materials to the require
- Repairs and replaces windows, doors, transoms, ventilators, and
interior and exterior trim.
- Installs structural and trim items by nailing, bolting,
mortising, doweling, and glueing.
- Installs various building accessories such as simple shelves
and holders, paper towel dispensers, toilet paper holders, sanitary
napkin dispensers, bathroom partitions, tackboards, etc.
- Applies caulking compound or other filler material around door
and window casings and at other points where tight seal is
- Planes, sands, putties, holds and finishes completed
- Inspects assigned facilities on a regular basis for damage,
necessary repairs, and to ensure that previously reported
deficiencies have been corrected.
- Repairs broken light lenses and replaces switch and receptacle
plates and other simple electrical fixtures and devices. Replaces
light bulbs as needed.
- Repairs leaking faucets and toilets and replaces gaskets,
filters, and other simple plumbing fixture assemblies. Plunges
clogged toilets, snakes clogged drain lines.
- Responds to temperature complaints checking temperature and
ensuring proper operation of thermostats and terminal devices.
- Refers significant repairs to the Supervisor of the Carpenter
- May assist other maintenance workers and technicians with
repairs that require additional labor.
- Observes and reports in a timely manner any defects,
deterioration, and wear and tear on buildings; orally communicates
emergencies or describes trade work that involves major repairs to
the Carpenter Shop Supervisor.
- Sweeps dirt and leaves and shovels snow from walkways and
driveways, and spreads sand on walkways and driveways.
- As needed, inspects the work performed by outside
- May perform custodial work to include clean, mop, strip, wax
and buff all hard surface floors; vacuum, shampoo and spot-clean
carpeted floors; wash down walls; maintain general cleanliness in
common areas and bathrooms; re-stock paper and soap products in
bathrooms; clean windows; clean and pick up debris outside of
- Selects the appropriate tools, uses coating materials
specified, and decides on proper methods and techniques to
- Uses various appropriate methods, tools & materials to prep
surfaces to be painted.
Masks, spackles, and putties surfaces and removes accessories as
- Applies coating materials such as primer, paints, varnishes,
and shellacs with brushes, rollers, spray guns, and other related
methods and techniques.
- Ensures proper placement of ladders and scaffolding.
- Cleans and maintains brushes and painting equipment.
Percentage Of Time
- Communicates directly with customers who may be inconvenienced
or affected by scheduled work.
- Operates a motor vehicle to pick up supplies required for the
maintenance of properties located throughout Hanover and the
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Additional Document #1