Open Until Filled
Supervisor, Custodial Services
Department this Position Reports to
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Schedule: 3rd shift; two consecutive days off
Location of Position
Hanover, NH 03755
6 Vox Lane
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Reporting to the Custodial Services Manager, the Custodial
Supervisor exercises overall responsibility for planning,
scheduling, implementing, and reporting on the daily and special
duties of the custodial department. Responsible for the supervision
of full-time employees, as well as numerous subcontractors hired
for special projects or to perform services not provided by the
College. The custodial department is responsible for the
performance or management for providing a clean and safe campus
using current and effective sustainable custodial methods and
techniques with four supervisors for 4+ million GSF with 134 FTE .
This position will provide training and leadership for a custodial
staff of approximately 30 FTE who provide custodial, recycling and
solid waste services for approximately 1 million+ GSF for a diverse
The Supervisor maintains a current working knowledge of all trades
under their purview, establishes safety, quality control and
productivity standards applicable to each trade, ensures that these
standards reflect best industry practices and are applied in the
performance of work. In addition, he/she is responsible for
assisting in the preparation of specific and annual budgets,
overseeing the shop’s equipment and supply inventory, communicating
effectively with FO&M management and the College community, as
well as, building and maintaining staff morale and overall
productivity. Maintain professional and effective communications
and professional working relationship with College faculty, staff
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Associates or equivalent combination of education and
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- Associate’s degree in general management, facilities or
industrial management or a technical field.
- Minimum of five years of custodial or housekeeping
- Minimum of three years of supervisory experience of 5+
- Custodial or housekeeping experience for an educational or
medical institution, health care or health club facility or a
residential complex > 100,000 g.s.f.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and be qualified under the
terms of the
Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
- Extensive knowledge of custodial or housekeeping services for a
large, > than 100,000 sq. ft., educational or medical
institution or health care or health club facility. Comprehensive
knowledge and skill in hard floor care and cleaning, carpet and
upholstery cleaning, solid waste and recycling services, athletic
facilities, Sustainable and Green cleaning, custodial equipment and
custodial methods and techniques, required.
- Experience in estimating, scheduling and managing custodial or
housekeeping services provided by individuals and small groups and
experience supervising 10+ FTE . Working knowledge of applicable
safety procedures (trade) related to custodial or housekeeping
- Certified Executive Housekeeper [ CEH ] or [ REH ] with IEHA
- Ability to communicate effectively with direct reports, college
personnel, students, faculty and sub-contractors required. Must be
able to give and follow verbal and written assignments as necessary
and to appropriately delegate tasks.
- Work must be performed in a highly collegial, professional and
collaborative manner with FO&M shops and College
- Willingness to work different shifts as needed and overtime as
- Knowledge of solid waste and recycling practices
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard
business-related software required, i.e., Excel, Web browsing, and
Word programs, electronic payroll and work order systems.
- Demonstrated commitment to recycling and sustainability
- Strong commitment to a diverse working environment and serving
the needs of a large and diverse community.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the
first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Schedule: 3rd shift; two consecutive days off
Scheduling, planning, project analysis, quality assurance
Percentage Of Time
- Plans, prioritizes, and assigns all work for which the
custodial department is responsible and provides estimates and
reporting for work as required.
- Receives and reviews work orders, manages inspection and
assessment of work to be performed and assigns appropriate
resources based on a comprehensive assessment of all conditions and
requirements. Inspects and evaluates daily in-progress and
completed work for compliance with safety, quality, and
productivity standards. Provides daily building inspections ( DBI
- Working as a team with the Quality Assurance Coordinator and
Custodial Supervisors, implements the department’s quality control
initiatives and standard operating procedures to ensure the highest
standards of cleanliness in all areas. Works with, and actively
supports the use of the Smart Inspect mobile software program.
Enforces use of task sheet assignments and maps.
- Develops scope and specifications for routine work, special
projects or for services not provided by the College. Solicits and
reviews bids for services, performs appropriate bid analysis and
awards work in order to achieve best value for the College.
- Formulates and implements new policies and procedures, as
necessary, to ensure that safety, quality control and productivity
standards are met for all work performed.
- Prepares cost estimates and schedules routine work, as well, as
special projects and provides assistance in the preparation of
Resource management and evaluation
Percentage Of Time
- Approves and monitors resource use (personnel, tools,
equipment, vehicles and supplies) and ensures that adequate
resources are available to perform work in a safe and productive
- Monitors and evaluates material and products used by the
custodial department in order to ensure that appropriate standards
are set and maintained related to performance and cost
effectiveness. Uses multiple internal and external systems to
requisition and obtain materials and products in a manner that
achieves best value for the College.
Percentage Of Time
- Responsible for establishing work and staff schedules that
consider all attendance factors such as vacation, personal and
short-term disability leave. Reviews, approves, and submits staff
time through the Colleges electronic payroll system. Provides or
requests, as needed, documentation related to leave time, injuries,
reimbursements and similar.
- Participates in various personnel actions, including, but not
limited to, hiring, performance management and evaluations,
promotions, transfers and vacation schedules.
- Coordinates work and personnel needs with FO&M
administrators, supervisors and administrative staff, as well as,
representatives from other departments and organizations as
- Provides staff training and holds shop meetings to maintain
appropriate and productive communication with staff.
- Provides or requests, as needed, documentation related to leave
time, injuries, reimbursements and similar.
Percentage Of Time
- Work requires bending, kneeling, climbing, and working in
cramped or awkward positions.
- Work involves regular lifting, carrying, and holding objects
weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Work involves regular stair climbing in buildings of 4 to 5
- Work is performed: indoors, outdoors, in bad weather, in areas
that are noisy, dirty, or smoky.
- Work involves exposure to hazards from electric shock, burns,
cuts, and chemical fumes .
- Work involves wearing special or protective clothing such as:
aprons or overalls, gloves, and goggles or masks.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter