- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 31, 2022
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Procurement to Payment Services, the Payment Specialist is responsible for processing the payment of invoices and reimbursements and has the training and experience to independently perform much of the skilled work required in the Payment Services department. Incumbent performs diverse duties involving a wide range of procedures using initiative and judgment in analyzing information and determining a course of action within the specifications of standard practice and established guidelines of SJSU, CSU, State and/or Federal procurement policies and travel regulations. The Payment Specialist acts as liaison between Payment Services, Contracts and Procurement, and Receiving departments. Incumbent communicates established policies and procedures to faculty, staff, and the general public.
- Audit/analyze, prepare and approve to pay, PO and Direct Payment invoices, Employee/Student Reimbursements, Petty Cash, Travel and other Reimbursements, and International Travel Advance requests, ensuring compliance with SJSU, CSU, State and Federal policies and guidelines, as applicable
- Access paperless support documents and invoices for payment and reimbursement requests via the OnBase imaging and workflow system
- Contact requestors (i.e. vendors, campus departments/individuals, travelers) for missing or additional support documentation or information
- Create PO invoice and other voucher types utilizing the Accounts Payable module of the Common Financial System (CFS) – Oracle (PeopleSoft) finance system
- Create PO invoice and other voucher types utilizing the Accounts Payable module of the OnBase imaging system
- Review data-entry and other system-generated reports (i.e. matching) for accuracy and completeness of online and quick invoice vouchers; make corrections and address receiving or other match exceptions
- Reconcile vendor statements and resolve issues related to outstanding invoice notices
- Follow-up and communicate with vendors and campus departments as needed
- Collect Control Group Reports for all Direct Payment Requests and Employee/Student Reimbursements expected to pay
- Record checks to be distributed on Daily Audit Check Log. Release checks for distribution (mail or pick up)
- Use CFS functionality to void a check, issue a stop payment, escheat checks, and reissue checks
- Prepare State of California Form STD 676 to report various types of fringe benefit payments to employees, such as Call Back Mileage, Wireless Device Allowances
- Audit/analyze ProCard/GoCard statements for charges made to ensure appropriateness to the program guidelines
- Prepare monthly charge-back spreadsheet for Accounting Services
- Thorough knowledge of Accounts Payable functions, procurement processes, and travel and other reimbursement requests
- Thorough knowledge of Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System, working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Email (or similar email system)
- Ability to review financial documents for accuracy, completeness, validity, and adherence to standards
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities in a timely manner; to plan, to organize
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures and practices; arithmetic and general office procedures
- General knowledge of governmental financial record-keeping methods
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities and equivalent
- Three years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities
- Experience with Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System
- Experience working in an institute of higher education or governmental organization
- Experience with tax compliance issues such as California Sales and Use Tax, California Nonresident Withholding, and Federal reporting of Miscellaneous Income
- Experience with San Jose State University, the California State University System, and/or the State of California policies and procedures related to procurement and travel processes
Classification: Accounting Technician II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,873/month - $3,973/month
Salary Range: $3,512/month - $5,830/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- List of References
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: October 31, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert