Job Posting Title
Black Student Success Counselor
Los Rios Community College District (Cosumnes River
Counseling and Student Services
Temporary Position Category
Cosumnes River College ( CRC ) values diversity, focuses on
creativity and personal enrichment, and empowers students to reach
their full potential as informed and productive members of the
community. CRC is a leader in innovative ideas and sustainable
values. One of the four colleges of the Los Rios Community College
District, Cosumnes River College seeks candidates who are
knowledgeable about the impact of implicit bias in teaching and
learning, and who implement culturally responsive teaching
techniques and effective practices for engaging students.
Serving south Sacramento County and Elk Grove since 1970, CRC’s
main campus and its Elk Grove center provide a dynamic learning
environment for more than 14,000 ethnically and racially diverse
students. One of the top ten most diverse two-year public colleges
in the nation (noted in the Almanac of Higher Education, Fall
2015), CRC is a student-centered, open-access community college
dedicated to preparing students for an ever-changing future.
CRC awards Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees,
Associate degrees for Transfer, Career Education certificates, and
transfer credit for students who intend to continue their education
at a four-year college or university. Our 200+ programs include
automotive technology, radio, television and film, allied health,
veterinary technology, and architecture and design technology,
With a focus on improving completion outcomes for all students,
programs like the Puente Project, Umoja DIOP Scholars, and Native
American Higher Ed Resources, look to increase the number of
Latinx, African-American, and Native American students who complete
a degree, certificate and/or transfer to four-year colleges and
universities. Student support services and programs including CARE,
EOPS, Enriched Scholars, and First-Year Experience enhance the
ability of all students to complete college. CRC is recognized as a
Hispanic-Serving Institution ( HSI ) and as an Asian American and
Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution ( AANAPISI
CRC strives to be an exemplary and innovative community college
that empowers students and employees to strengthen the cultural,
social, economic, and environmental well-being of their
Under the direction of the Chief Student Services Officer or their
designee, the Black Student Success Counselor will participate in
the development and implementation of student services/programs,
which support and enhance the educational experience for students,
particularly Black students. This position works in collaboration
to coordinate, up to 0.50 FTE the Umoja-Diop Scholars program, a
well-established program designed to enrich and nurture the
educational experience of CRC students, with a special emphasis on
Black/African American students to be transfer and career-ready.
This position also supports campus-wide initiatives aimed at
closing equity gaps for Black students.
The faculty member shall be responsible for the following:
counseling services and/or teaching assigned classes under the
supervision of the area dean; helping students fulfill their
maximum potential in mastering course content; assessing student
learning outcomes; maintaining a thorough and up-to-date knowledge
in his/her regular teaching field; continuing professional
development; utilizing current technology in the performance of job
duties; maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics
appropriate to the professional position; assisting with
articulation and curriculum development and review; serving on
college committees and participating in faculty governance
including accreditation and student co-curricular activities;
assuming other responsibilities as assigned by the area dean;
fulfilling other duties and responsibilities of a full-time faculty
member as outlined in the college faculty handbook.
Position Salary Information:
Initial maximum salary
placement is based on academic degree, upper/graduate level units
earned, and/or related professional occupational experience per the
Los Rios College Federation of Teachers Contract
initial maximum placement is Class V, Step 8). For more information
on the step placement process, please
$49,866 to $94,109 annually. Additional earnings may be
available for summer, overload, and stipends. LRCCD
Additional Salary Information
Initial annual salary within a given range varies, depending
upon units/degrees completed at accredited colleges/universities
and experience. Candidates not holding the minimum degree
requirement may start at a salary lower than posted above.
The assignment may include, but is not limited to:
- Overseeing, planning and implementing the Umoja-Diop Scholars
- Providing proactive counseling support to Black students who
are struggling academically.
- Identifying and supporting student needs to enhance access,
success, retention and graduation for Black/African American
- Collaborating with faculty and Student Services to identify and
reach out to Black students experiencing academic, social and
- Providing culturally responsive counseling, including crisis
intervention and personal counseling.
- Participating in guided pathways case management success
- Having knowledge regarding trends and challenges facing diverse
- Providing counseling to support student retention and
- Providing case management and collaborating with colleagues,
classroom faculty, and classified staff to support students.
- Facilitating course planning.
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships
with instructional areas, outreach centers, feeder high schools,
neighboring colleges, and community resource agencies.
- Preparing and maintaining counseling records using current
- Relaying pertinent information to college personnel as needed,
and respect the confidentiality of such records as required by
- Assisting students in exploring careers using current
technology, in developing an understanding of the employment
environment, and in making and implementing career decisions.
- Assisting students in exploring four-year college transfer
options, in understanding transfer agreements and transfer degrees,
and in making sound decisions related to transferring.
- Administering assessments and inventories to groups or
individual students and interpreting the results.
- Providing counseling for issues impacting retention,
persistence, and academic success of diverse populations, and
referring students to resources as appropriate and necessary.
The assignment may include day, evening, online, hybrid,
weekend, and/or off-campus classes/hours.
Total Hrs per Week/Day
7.5 hours per day
- Have a master’s degree in Counseling, Rehabilitation
Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Guidance
Counseling, Educational Counseling, Social Work, Career
Development, Marriage and Family Therapy, or Marriage, Family, and
Child Counseling; OR hold a bachelor’s degree in Counseling,
Rehabilitation Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Counseling
Psychology, Guidance Counseling, Educational Counseling, Social
Work, Career Development, Marriage and Family Therapy, or Marriage,
Family, and Child Counseling and a license as a Marriage and
Family Therapist ( MFT ); OR hold a California Community
College Instructor’s Credential in the discipline area; OR
the equivalent.* All degrees must be from an accredited
institution, completed by January 1, 2023 .
- Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to
and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds of community college students, including those with
physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in
learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive
educational and employment environment.
- If your degree title differs from the minimum qualifications
listed above, you are requested to apply under the “equivalent”
- Applicants applying under the “equivalent” provision must
attach details and explain how their academic preparation and/or
professional experience is the equivalent of the degrees/minimum
qualifications listed above. Please visit our website for a sample
letter and information on the
equivalency determination process .
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete
- A Los Rios Community College District Application
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts of College/University Work
- Copy of Marriage and Family Therapist ( MFT ) license, if using
to meet minimum qualifications stated above.
- Applications submitted without all required documents, listed
above, will be disqualified.
- Applicants indicating “see resume” on the application will not
have that referenced experience considered for minimum
qualifications, which may lead to the application being
- Applicants, including current Los Rios Community College
District employees, are required to provide official transcripts,
if required to meet the minimum qualifications for the
- Applicants are required to submit official transcripts within
60 days of the time of hire.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be
accepted as official transcripts.
- Individuals who have completed college or university course
work at an institution in a country other than the United States
must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees,
and other relevant documents.
- A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign
course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary
placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a
college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from
AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or
NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services)
agencies or evaluators. For additional information on foreign
click here .
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Posting Detail Information
Beginning On (or About)
Categorically Funded, Full-Time Faculty Position*
Beginning on (or about) January 3, 2023.
*This position is contingent on continued funding and satisfactory
work performances; may be extended, on an annual basis, to future
Ending Date, if LTT
How and where to apply
Please visit our
Frequently Asked Questions
for complete information on
how to apply online with our District. If you need assistance with
any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112
during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PST, Monday
After hour inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu.
Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance
from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and
proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States
prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional
qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur.
When education is a requirement for the position, official academic
transcripts from the accredited college/university must be
submitted within 60 days of hire.
All faculty and staff must be fully vaccinated in order to:
- be physically present on District premises for an extended
amount of time, generally more than 15 minutes; or
- participate in District activities for an extended amount of
time, generally more than 15 minutes; or
- be inside a building or office
unless they receive an approved medical exemption or religious
All new hires must be fully vaccinated or receive an approved
medical or religious exemption within forty-five (45) calendar days
of hire. Within seven (7) calendar days, all new hires must show
proof they have received the first dose of a two-dose vaccine, or
one dose of a one-dose vaccine, or have applied for a medical or
For the latest information on the COVID Vaccine mandate, please
COVID Vaccine Requirements
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Can you perform the essential functions of the position you
are applying to with or without reasonable accommodations?
- * I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering
the question below, I certify that the information provided by me
is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and
belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained
herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I
release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing
such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form
https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf and attach
the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- * Please indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for
this position. Select the appropriate answer.
- I possess the minimum qualifications for this discipline as
listed on the job announcement. (Attach unofficial transcripts from
an accredited college/university and/or evidence of job
- I possess a valid California Community College Credential for
this discipline. (Attach a copy of appropriate credential with
- I possess qualifications equivalent to those listed and have
attached evidence. (To review Equivalency Process.)
- I have previously been granted equivalency to teach this
discipline by the Los Rios Community College District. (Attach the
Equivalency Determination Form P-38 and transcripts.)
- * Please copy and paste the the link -
- into a web browser. Read and review the CRC Statement concerning
the value of cultural competence and choose the appropriate
response. I have reviewed the CRC Statement Concerning the Value of
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Comunidad
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - Asian Pacific Islander Legacy (API)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association
- LRCCD Resource Group - Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Works
- The HUB
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime
- Equivalency Determination Letter (P-38 or Equivalency Request
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- California Community College Instructor’s Credential
- Certifications/Licenses 2