Texas Lutheran University invites applications for a full-time Career Development Coordinator. This position works as part of a team to engage campus and community partners to provide vocational and experiential education opportunities.
- Work independently and collaboratively with team members to meet student and/or alumni career discernment, development, and educational needs. Guide and build student/alumni client capacity by helping them to discover and pursue their career mission and passion.
- Provide education of students regarding the understanding of vocation discernment and preparation for career success through job search and employment processes.
- Assist with building partnerships between TLU and external communities (business, public sector, and not for profit) to facilitate employer recruitment of TLU students and alumni.
- Assist with the tracking of employment trends for TLU majors and programs; communicate them to department chairs, enrollment services, TLU community and families.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of effective, contemporary, professional and responsive programs, career fairs, workshops, and activity modules.
- Promote the success of alumni and chronicle their career pathways through the collection of students and alumni data.
- Coordinate with faculty/department chairs in providing career development services for TLU students and alumni. Establish liaisons for academic and/or administrative departments to increase utilization and successful outcomes.
- Collaborate with Academic Advising to develop linkages between career paths and majors offered at TLU
- Work collaboratively with the VPAA office, program chairs, and faculty in promoting internship opportunities at the undergraduate level.
- Maintain and promote a listing of current vacancy postings for full/part-time, seasonal, and intern employment in TLU CareerLink on the Handshake platform.
- Assist with the department in maintaining an active online presence including interactive web site, blogs, use professional social networking sites, and resume/job skill applications. Collaborate with Alumni Relations to link current students and alumni in their career exploration and job search process.
- Serve on the Career Development Advisory Board of internal constituents as well as a Business and Professional Roundtable for external partners in industry and professional fields appropriate for TLU majors and their career pathway.
- Serve on committees as assigned.
Position qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ full-time experience working in Career Development or specifically higher education.
- Maintain membership in local, regional, and/or national career related professional associations (ex. SACUCCA,NACE, SoACE, ACA, NCDA, NASPA, etc.)
- Familiarity with software and technology for use in career development.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in the areas of collaboration, team participation, creative problem solving, conflict resolution, decision making, and effectively interacting with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to work effectively with a culturally, socially, and economically diverse community population with skills in communicating across cultures.
- Knowledge of current federal/state laws, regulations, and codes that affect career development policies.
- Familiar with Academic Advising principles and practices.
- Demonstrated expertise in program development, marketing, and assessment.
- Demonstrated expertise in presentation and public relation skills.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in the employment of social networking tools related to career development and networking.
- Knowledge of the career process and employment trends.
- Participation in professional and community groups.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multicultural and multilingual populations.
- Familiar with Hispanic Serving Institutions and their mission.
- Understand and support the mission and strategic plan of Texas Lutheran University
Benefits are competitive. Texas Lutheran University, an accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is located 35 miles from downtown San Antonio. For more information about TLU, consult our web site at www.tlu.edu. Please submit an application (available at www.tlu.edu/jobs), a resume, and the contact information for at least three professional references to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
Fax: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. Texas Lutheran University has been consistently recognized as a “Great College to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education. Texas Lutheran University (TLU) is an official U.S. News & World Report “Best Colleges” selection among regional colleges in the West, ranking second on the list for “Best Value,” and fifth overall. This is the eighth consecutive year TLU has been featured on the “Best Value” rankings. Other notable recognitions include TLU’s acknowledgment as a top 20 regional college for Social Mobility—the fourth year the university has appeared in this category. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and also is subject to the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA). Texas Lutheran University is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion across all levels of the University. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are strongly encouraged to apply.