Manager - Interpreter Services
- City Colleges of Chicago
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 27, 2022
Reporting to the District Director, Student Accessibility Services, theManager-Interpreter Servicesdirects and oversees the sign language interpreting programs and services provided at campuses to students through the district’s Office of Student Accessibility Services.
The position supervises staff within the district’s Interpreter Services Department; schedules and oversees the provision of interpreting services to deaf and hard of hearing students enrolled in colleges across district; and ensures sign language interpreter services are in compliance with federal laws and adhere to ADA and Section 504 requirements. Performs related duties as required.
- Supervises the work of Sign Language Interpreter (SLI) staff, ensuring the consistent and timely provision of quality sign language services that are reflective of best practices to deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Creates daily, weekly, and monthly work schedules for the efficient allocation of sign language interpreting services to deaf and hard of hearing students at campuses across the district for classes, meetings, and student activities.
- Monitors SLI assignments, ensuring students are matched with Interpreter(s) that best meet their individual needs including required skill level for particular courses, level of difficulty in course content, and sign language preference.
- Works with campus Directors of ACCESS Centers to interview students who use sign language as a primary mode of communication and develop interpreting service delivery plans to accommodate individual student needs.
- Interviews and makes hiring recommendations for SLI staff. Administers and enforces HR work rules and collective bargaining requirements, including disciplinary actions.
- Administers CCC’s vendor services contract for Sign Language Interpreters. Determines need for temporary SLI staff per semester; approves invoices for payment; and monitors expenditures to ensure cost effective use of resources.
- Resolves problems and provides interventions or solutions when interpreting problems arise within the assignment.
- Prepares and manages operating budget for the district’s sign language services. Assesses staffing needs to meet the demand for sign language services at each campus.
- Maintains awareness of new developments in the field of interpreting services and implements changes as appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with Directors to ensure policies and procedures, documentation requirements, and other sign language requirements are enforced consistently across the district.
- Conducts classroom observations, reviews student survey results, and evaluates the work performance of SLI’s; ensures SLI’s have the required proficiency level for their assignment(s).
- Serves as a liaison to faculty, staff, and administrators in providing sign language services for events; explains the role of SLI’s in the classroom, tutoring sessions, and administrative appointments.
- Monitors and ensures SLI staff maintain current state licensure. Ensures adherence to the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) - Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. (RID) Code of Professional Conduct and the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission.
- May provide sign-language interpreting/transliteration in various settings including classroom, meeting, tutoring, testing, and campus events.
- Educates faculty and college staff on the various aspects of deaf culture, and provides information to maximize awareness and benefits of using SLI services.
- Maintains confidential records of students served, documents services provided and prepares various management reports.
- Works collaboratively with managers at the colleges’ Centers to plan and implement specialized activities and services for students.
- Develops and implements plans to incorporate the use of interns and volunteers to support and enhance program activities
- Provides in-service training and professional development opportunities for staff, interns and volunteers to ensure appropriate level of training and to remain abreast of best practices.
- Assists in the planning and coordination of commencement ceremony activities for students with disabilities.
- May assist with district-wide coordination of other disability services including Computer-Aided Real-Time (CART) captioning, video and audio captioning, and other assistive technologies as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Interpreting, Deaf Studies, Deaf Education, or related field from accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
- NAD IV or V certification, RID certification (CDI, CI/CT, NIC, CSC), or BEI Advanced or Master certification
- Advanced Proficiency License issued by the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission. Master Proficiency License preferred.
- Three years of program and/or staff management experience with content experience in higher education student affairs, working with students with disabilities, or counseling/mental health services.
- Knowledge of American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related compliance issues
- Knowledge of Section 504 and HIPPA requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Supervisory and management skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to excel in in team and individual settings
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
Thank you for your interest in CCC!
The intent of this job description is to provide a general description of the duties and responsibilities of this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive set of the duties and responsibilities, nor all of the necessary qualifications to perform the work.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert