The Department of History at Saint Michael’s College is inviting applications for the position of Assistant Professor of History (1865 - Present) to start in August 2023. This is a tenure-track position. The teaching responsibilities include a general survey of U.S. History from 1865 to today, specialized courses and seminars in the candidate’s areas of specialization and interest, and opportunities to advise theses and independent research. Candidates in all subfields of U.S. history are encouraged to apply, and preference will be given to candidates whose work focuses on race, gender, medicine, and/or public history.
The teaching load is six courses per academic year. A commitment to undergraduate teaching and ongoing scholarship is expected. Candidates should be ready to contribute to our vibrant residential campus community. The college is committed to supporting diversity and inclusivity among students, faculty, and staff; therefore, all members of the community are expected to contribute to fostering an inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. Applicants with past experiences and contributions to creating such an environment will be given strong consideration.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, employer paid life and disability insurance, voluntary life, critical illness and accident insurance options, parental leave, flexible spending accounts (healthcare and dependent care), 401(k), employee and dependent tuition benefits, employee assistance program, well-being programs and opportunities, discounted gym membership, paid volunteer time, use of the athletic facilities and the library, and countless opportunities to attend presentations, lectures, and other campus activities.
- A Ph.D. in history or a related field by August 2023
- An ability to demonstrate evidence of an active research agenda
- Evidence of teaching experience and commitment to incorporating a variety of perspectives and preparing students for working in diverse and inclusive environments
Please be prepared to attach the following documents after clicking on the Apply Now button:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: 1 – 2 pages answering the following prompts:
- How have diversity and inclusion informed your teaching and research? Please provide examples demonstrating your commitment to cultivating equity and inclusion in academic communities.
- Share how you have become more aware of issues of diversity and inclusion, as well as social inequity, and how you are prepared to work in an institution committed to fostering and affirming an intentionally inclusive environment.
- How will you support and contribute to the mission of the College: “To contribute through higher education to the enhancement of the human person and to the advancement of human culture in the light of the Catholic faith.”
- Names and contact information for three references. Reference letters will be requested at a later stage
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Review of applications will begin on January 6, 2023, and continue until the position has been filled.
For a complete job description, benefits information, and to apply online, please visit: https://egqw.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_13/job/1154/?utm_medium=jobshare