DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Business Officers (BOs) assist in managing the business and financial affairs of a department or unit. Responsibilities include facilitation and management of financial resources from public or private sources. BOs perform a range of financial and business-related duties associated with specialized areas such as accounting, budgeting, auditing, and/or grants administration. Functions assigned to the business officer role may include financial management, personnel administration/management, purchasing, inventory control, and closely related work. BOs may perform or have oversight of accounts reconciliation, maintenance and reporting of financial data, financial projections, and personnel planning. Business Officers may have responsibility for adhering to accounting/business standards and practices, policy interpretation/implementation, and the organization of work.
- Business Administration: Knowledge of appropriate business practices and procedures. Manage and improve business processes and operations by ensuring continuity, integration of policies and procedures with Central State University’s mission and strategic plan.
- Financial Management: Assist National Program Leader and Operations and Program Manager CSUE in planning and monitoring the use of expenditures to meet organizational objectives and compliance; prepare budget documents and reports. Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/or knowledge in business operations or accounting and financial forecasting. Assist Project Director and Operations and Program Manager CSUE in allocating resources, planning procurement and overseeing budgets and contracts. Enter requisitions in university enterprise management system. Prepare other expense related document. Monitor processing of documents to conclusion.
- Human Resources Management: Assist National Program Leader and Operations and Program Manager CSUE with administering and ensuring compliance with CSU human resources policies and procedures. Assist with hiring by preparing Strategic Position Review (SPR)and Personal Action Form (PAF) documents and other employment related activities.
- Information Analysis and Decision-Making: Gather, organize, summarize, and analyze budget and financial data within prescribed timeframes. Ability to recommend an effective course of action or develop appropriate solutions and/or reach conclusions. Establish and maintain appropriate files.
- Communication: Communicate information to individuals or groups; deliver presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience. Clearly and concisely convey information orally or in writing to individuals or groups to ensure that they understand the information and the message. Listen and respond appropriately to others using the appropriate media (e.g., e-mail, presentations, etc.). Assist with events and program preparation, planning, and execution.
- Complete other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Broad knowledge of accounting, budget and business practices for a department unit or organization preferably in higher education with public and private funding sources and a variety of functional activities, programs, and/or services.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or other closely related field
- Higher education experience
- Research administration experience
- Banner/Ellucian experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of computers and MS Office software.
- Knowledge of university systems, policies, and procedures.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently of direct supervision and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work under tight deadline pressure.
- Must be able and willing to travel as necessary.