Financial Aid Counselor
About the Opportunity
Advise and counsel full and part-time undergraduate and graduate
students/families on the availability of financial aid, the
delivery process for receiving it, and the reconciliation processes
required to ensure that financial aid funds are transferred to
Responsibilities include reviewing student applications, performing
verification procedures, reviewing/evaluating appeals, and
interceding for students with participating departments (School
administrators, Student Accounts, Registrar, and Co-op).
KEY RESPONSIILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1) Counsel and advise students and parents on financial aid
process, NU billing procedures, and financing options. Provide
conflict resolution with student accounts office, lenders, and
guarantor. Monitor satisfactory academic progress.
2) Administer federal, state and Northeastern-based financial
assistance. Review student applications and perform federal needs
analysis to determine eligibility. Verify information according to
federal process. Review and evaluate student appeals. Implement NU
based awarding guidelines.
3) Perform the per term audit of federal eligibility: adjusting aid
and monitor satisfactory academic progress. This audit must be done
at various times throughout the term and after every term.
4) Supervise activities and provide technical support for staff
assistants and work study students to assure that procedures meet
federal and NU requirements. Coordinate with staff to assure that
the needs of the Counselor caseload is met.
5) Represent the Financial Aid Office at Open Houses, student
meetings, workshops and part-time evening programs to overview and
answer questions regarding the financial aid process.
- Bachelor's degree preferred or relevant experience
- Experience in student personnel administration, preferably in
financial aid or student accounts
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational
- Ability to communicate well by telephone and email, in addition
to face-to-face interactions
- Willingness and ability to give presentations to large groups
of students and their families
- Working knowledge of ServiceNow, Banner, Microsoft Teams,
Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse student
- Strong analytical, decision-making, and problem solving
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Financial-Aid-Counselor_R110188