- Oakton Community College
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 12, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school campus or other assigned college facility; maintain buildings and surrounding areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform general custodial tasks in a specific work area
including trash removal, cleaning chalk boards, dry/wet mopping,
strip/wax floors etc.
- Operate custodial equipment such as vacuums, mops, small hand
and power tools, buffer/scrubber
- Move furniture, file cabinets, desks, etc., as
- Set up furniture, stages, mats, etc., as required for special
- Clean and disinfect drinking fountains and restroom facilities
including sinks, toilets and urinals; replenish dispensers with
towels, soap, toilet paper and other items; clean mirrors, tile and
- Assist and work with routine tasks as directed by supervision
such as moving, plumbing, and basic repair.
- Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate
authority; report need for maintenance repairs; respond to
emergency custodial requests as needed.
- Perform snow removal and perform special work assignments or
clean ups as directed.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- High school education or an equivalent combination of education
and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be
acquired is required.
- One year of custodial experience or similar experience is
- Familiarity with methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in custodial work is required.
General supervision is received from the Manager of Housekeeping. Functional supervision is received from the Housekeeping Supervisor.
Physical Working Conditions:
Position will require employees to have
- the ability to stand, walk and move for extended periods of
time (Often - 75% - 100%).
- the ability to detect dirt, dust, stains and marks. (Often 75%
- the ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull,
and reach in all directions (Often - 75% - 100%)
- the ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (Often 75% -
- the ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical labor for
extended periods of time. (Often 75% - 100%)
- the ability to set up and operate mechanical cleaning
equipment.(Occasional 50% to 75%)
- the ability to work at heights and the ability to ascend/descend ladders. (Seldom - 0% - 25%)
- Some shifts will require the use of radio communication.
Employees on these shifts, using these devices, will be required to
have the ability to hear and exchange information
- Job duties may be performed in hot, dusty, dirty environments. Employees may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
Preemployment Physical and Background Check required
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day probationary period, employees are required to report to campus.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert