Academic Coach (Part Time, Daytime)
- Dean College
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Oct 24, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Dean College is a private, residential New England college grounded in a culture and tradition that all students deserve the opportunity to discover and exceed their greatest aspirations. A personal and transformative community since 1865, Dean tirelessly inspires our students to unimagined heights through personalized support and integrated delivery of academic, co-curricular and experiential learning. Our graduates are lifelong learners who thrive in their careers, embrace social responsibility and demonstrate leadership.
Recognized as a Top Regional College by U.S. News & World Report for eleven consecutive years and named a College of Distinction for six consecutive years, Dean serves approximately 1,200 full-time students and 400 part-time students and offers more than 50 combined bachelor's and associate degree programs and specializations, as well as a robust schedule of continuing studies, EMT and certificate programs throughout the year.
Dean College is perfectly situated in Franklin, Massachusetts, which is conveniently located between Boston and Providence, Rhode Island and is accessible to Boston by commuter rail. The Dean College/Franklin station is only a five-minute walk from campus. Approximately 87 percent of the College's student population lives on campus.
Dean provides a supportive academic environment that thrives on hands-on engagement and exceptional teaching. This community-wide commitment of always going the extra mile for students is known as The Dean Difference. Outside of the classroom, students participate in 16 athletic teams and more than 30 on-campus groups and organizations.
Ninety-six percent of our bachelor's degree students are employed or enrolled in graduate school within 12 months of graduation. Alumni are hard at work in top-ranked graduate programs and are employed by organizations such as Universal Studios, Dell Technologies, Liberty Mutual, Kraft Sports + Entertainment, the Boston Ballet, and more.
What is The Dean Difference?
The Dean Difference isn't any one thing. It's not a program or a professor. It's not a single class or a club. It's the way our academics support networks and community overlap, interweave and magnify each other. Our difference unites us. It's our secret formula. It's the nucleus around which we orbit. It isn't one thing, it's everything
The Academic Coach at Dean College provides a strategy-based approach to academic support for students enrolled in Academic Coaching, a fee-based learning program open to all students at the institution. Academic Coaches work with students to address immediate academic needs while developing long-term independent skills in studying, reading, and organization. Academic Coaches help students become independent learners. Time management, organization and long-term planning are some of the skills that students gain through their experience in Academic Coaching.
This is a fall and spring semester, part-time position; fifteen to twenty-nine hours per week for 14 weeks each semester. Prospective candidates must be available to work at least three days per week. Must be able to work additional days/evenings (or occasional weekends) to make up hours when necessary.
- Provide one-on-one academic support through strategy-based initiatives (time management, planning for long-term assignments, preparing for tests/exams, note taking, and course assignment support)
- Actively support the learning process and work to create and support a student-centered environment
- Collaborate with Success and Career Advisors and faculty to support students enrolled in Academic Coaching program
- Provide documentation and analysis of student attendance and performance during coaching sessions
- Motivate students through the learning process and provide referrals as needed
- Guide and support students in accessing online learning systems and software including Microsoft TEAMS, Outlook, Canvas, and other online learning platforms
- Utilize the Theodore and Cynthia Berenson Center for Writing, Mathematics and Presentation Excellence as an integrated approach to the Academic Coaching experience
- Assist Morton Family Learning Center staff with special projects or programs as assigned by the Director, including occasional administrative duties
- Master's Degree in Education, Counseling, or related field
- Experience working with students with learning differences, including diagnosed learning disabilities
- Commitment to supporting students from diverse backgrounds
- Understanding of student development theory and different learning styles
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong organization, planning and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience using virtual meeting software
- Prospective candidates must be prepared to look at computer screens for long periods of time
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Vaccine Booster Shot
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by those assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.
Dean College is an equal-opportunity, Title IX institution and pledges to recruit, select and promote diversity by providing equality of opportunity in higher education for all persons, including faculty and staff with respect to hiring, continuation, promotion, and applicants for admission, enrolled students and graduates without discrimination or segregation.
The College is interested in candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of colleagues, students, faculty, and community members. All employment decisions are made on a non-discriminatory basis.
Dean College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law.
This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in College programs, services, and activities. A pre-employment background screen is required for all employees.
Please submit your Resume/CV, Cover Letter, all unofficial transcripts; and contact information of three references. (PLEASE NOTE: Applications that are incomplete will not be considered).
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload your Cover Letter and any additional documents.
See the FAQ for using our online system.
Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your Dean College Careers Account to check your completed application or upload additional documents.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert