The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) invites nominations and applications for the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. As a critical member of the President’s leadership team, the Provost works with senior leadership in the common effort to continuously enhance the opportunities for student growth and achievement. The Provost serves as the Chief Academic Officer for UTRGV providing vision, leadership, and strategic oversight for Academic Affairs.
UTRGV is the second largest Hispanic Serving Institution in the United States in a growing region on the border with Mexico, where 80% of the nearly 1.5 million inhabitants speak Spanish, and most of the students are bilingual and bicultural. The university’s sights are set on the coveted R1 status “very high research activity” distinction by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education. UTRGV, which is strategically located throughout the Valley, offers a unique opportunity to lead the program on two main campuses – Brownsville and Edinburg.
The successful candidate must possess a Ph.D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university and must have ten years of progressively responsible leadership experience in a university environment, including experience as a faculty member. Candidates who are fluent in both Spanish and English are strongly preferred.
Some of the duties expected of this role include:
- Working with the faculty to set a vision for the future of the general academic enterprise and shaping the academic culture at UTRGV
- Representing the institution as the Chief Academic Officer
- Providing leadership and assuring coordination and accountability of the Council of Deans and all academic policies, functions, and support services
- Leading the conceptualization, development, implementation, and continuous improvement of academic programs and services
- Facilitating the development of the strategic agenda for the institution’s education mission consistent with the goals established in the UTRGV Strategic Plan
- Providing leadership to the academic colleges
- Facilitating the development and maintenance of academic agreements and accreditation processes for educational programs in collaboration with appropriate members of the institutional executive team
- Providing leadership on faculty recruitment and hiring, evaluation, promotion and tenure
- Promoting the educational mandate at UTRGV, ensuring that students, faculty, and the curriculum are of the highest quality
- Representing the University in the community on matters related to academic affairs
- Promoting the continuing development of the University’s research programs and championing the highest academic standards in faculty appointments, research contributions, tenure and promotion.
The ideal candidate will be a solutions-oriented team player who supports shared governance and is skilled at working with both internal and external stakeholders. The Provost should have a healthy approach to leading people through change, while maintaining stability and resolving conflict. Strong consideration will be given to those with a demonstrated skill at navigating university bureaucracy and managing at a high level.
To view the full profile description, visit click here
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, LLC is assisting the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For a full application package, please submit a cover letter, CV, and list of five references. Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher & Associates. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Tracey Weldon, Vice President and Search Manager
Itza Walters, Senior Executive Search Consultant
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities, and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.