Executive Director, University Health Center
- University of Georgia
- Athens, Georgia
- Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Posted Date
- Oct 24, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Health Services, Executive, Executive Directors
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Executive Director, University Health Center
The University of Georgia (UGA) is pleased to announce a national search for the position of Executive Director of the University Health Center. UGA is seeking a visionary and accomplished leader with extensive healthcare administration experience to oversee a complex and integrated healthcare operation providing medical, mental health, and counseling services; health promotion and educational outreach programs; and clinical specialty and support services to a diverse population of over 40,000 students. This is an outstanding opportunity to shape the future of a comprehensive, accredited student health center that is poised to serve as a national model of excellence.
The programs and services of the University Health Center (UHC) require a strong focus on enhancing the student experience and supporting student well-being and success. Notable opportunities for the incoming Executive Director include: providing visible campus and public health leadership for the institution; effectively addressing the health and well-being needs of UGA’s increasingly diverse student population, including leading efforts to further diversify the UHC staff; partnering with colleagues throughout campus to proactively enhance the well-being and success of UGA students; supporting the professional growth and success of a talented UHC staff; assuring the continued fiscal health of the Health Center in a primarily fee-supported, public institutional environment; cultivating and engaging donors; and continuing to enhance the national visibility of the Health Center.
Competitive candidates will demonstrate a commitment to high-quality, patient-centered healthcare in higher education, experience in an integrated and multidisciplinary practice model, and a significant and visible record of being an innovative leader and effective manager in healthcare delivery. Candidates must have a collaborative and strategic spirit, with the disposition to engage effectively with colleagues across all areas in the Division of Student Affairs and external partnering units. The Executive Director must demonstrate the ability to work well with and support diverse groups to ensure services are inclusive and meet the needs of all community members.
About the University
The University of Georgia, a land-grant and sea-grant university founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly, is the state’s oldest and most comprehensive institution of higher education. It’s motto—"to teach, to serve, and to inquire into the nature of things”—reflects the University’s integral role in the state and nation’s intellectual, cultural, and environmental heritage. The University is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report and is recognized as a very high research activity (R1) institution by the Carnegie Foundation.
UGA’s main campus is located in Athens, Georgia, 70 miles northeast of Atlanta. The University enrolls over 30,000 undergraduate students and 10,000 graduate and professional students; offers extensive academic programs across 18 schools and colleges; and engages students in more than 800 student organizations, 130 study abroad and exchange programs, and 21 NCAA Division I varsity sports teams. For more information, please visit https://www.uga.edu.
Accredited by the Joint Commission, the University Health Center is the on-campus medical hub of the University of Georgia, providing care for UGA students as well as faculty and staff in selected service areas. The University Health Center currently employs a staff of nearly 300, operates with an annual budget of approximately $25 million, and occupies a state-of-the-art medical facility of more than 110,000 square feet on East Campus in Athens. For more information, please visit https://healthcenter.uga.edu.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Student Well-being, the Executive Director is responsible for the strategic leadership, vision, and direction of all aspects of the operation of the University Health Center. Service lines include the provision of primary care, behavioral health and counseling services, health promotion and educational outreach programs, specialty clinical services, and clinical support services. The leadership model and the delivery of services are heavily integrated. Other responsibilities include the direction of administrative support services, communications, information technology, fiscal and facility management, service to the Division of Student Affairs in active support of its mission and strategic vision, collaboration with campus and community stakeholders on health and well-being matters, and public health and emergency management/planning.
The Executive Director:
- Directs the development and implementation of short- and long-range strategic plans for the health center that are consistent with its mission and vision, the mission and goals of the Division of Student Affairs, and those of the University of Georgia. Provides an organizational framework that supports a multidisciplinary, integrated, and holistic approach to the provision of medical, mental health, and health promotion services, education, and programs. (35%)
- Directs the fiscal operation of the health center to include the development of a long-range financial plan, an annual revenue and expense budget, and the ongoing monitoring of its implementation. Develops proposals for increases in the health fee as needed to support revenue requirements. Directs the evaluation and planning processes required to ensure that facilities as well as medical and other equipment are appropriately budgeted and maintained to support the scope of services provided and the volume of students served. Develops operational objectives and metrics to measure them and ensures that they are met. (20%)
- Directs the human resource function in a manner that ensures that the appropriate mix of qualified personnel are employed in sufficient numbers to support the health center mission, scope of services provided, and volume of students served. Consistently demonstrates an understanding of the importance of service excellence in the work of the Health Center, with both internal and external customers. Collaborates with key administrative and other colleagues across campus as necessary in the provision of health-related consultation services and public health functions. Maintains contacts with students on a regular basis through such opportunities as meetings of the Student Health Advisory Committee and on-campus student events. Serves on University and Division of Student Affairs committees and other groups as appropriate. (20%)
- Ensures compliance with Board of Regents and University policies as well as applicable state laws and regulations. Ensures that national accreditation standards for ambulatory care facilities that apply to the health center (Joint Commission) are met. Ensures that policies, procedures, and clinical guidelines that guide the delivery of all clinical services are adequate in scope, represent state-of-the-art knowledge in the field, and are easily accessed by clinical staff. (15%)
- Maintains personal knowledgebase and credentials as well as up-to-date knowledge of the medical and counseling referral resources available to serve students in the Athens and surrounding communities and an effective working relationship with key administrators and/or providers in these facilities. Provides a learning environment that fosters the personal and professional development of both staff and students. Develops learning objectives and monitors progress and efficacy of efforts toward achieving them. (10%)
- Completion of a master’s degree from an accredited college or university in public health, nursing, health care administration, or a related field.
- At least ten years of experience in progressively responsible professional positions in health care administration, including organizations whose scope includes ambulatory care.
- Completion of a doctorate from an accredited college or university in medicine, public health, nursing, health care administration, or a related field.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a large, comprehensive college health setting.
- Leadership experience with an integrated medical/behavioral health care model.
- Strong consideration will be given to those with a working knowledge of and active involvement with the ambulatory care accreditation standards and survey processes of either Joint Commission or Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Working knowledge of performance improvement processes and principles.
- Proficiency in the use of the computer, including Microsoft Office, Electronic Medical Records, and document and policy management systems.
The University of Georgia has partnered with Keeling & Associates in this search process. Applications should include a cover letter and resume and must be sent, preferably in PDF format, to recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com. The subject line of the email should read “UGA – Executive Director.” Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to Shadia Sachedina, Executive Search Consultant, at ssachedina@KeelingAssociates.com. All applications received by November 28, 2022, will receive full consideration. The application review process will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert