The Human Resources Department of the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (“AUIS”) seeks an energetic, people-oriented team member to help to identify, recruit and welcome new international faculty and staff to the institution. Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the International Human Resources Coordinator plays a key role in developing and supporting staff and faculty from a variety of countries—members of our campus community who play a key role in delivering the education mission at AUIS.
Located between beautiful mountain ranges in the secure and dynamic Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (“AUIS”) is an independent, non-profit, coeducational, liberal arts university that has no owners or shareholders and which operates solely for the public benefit. AUIS is located in the city of Sulaymaniyah (Sulaimani)--the UNESCO-designated City of Literature and the cultural capital of the Kurdish region in Iraq. The campus has 50 classrooms, high-tech laboratories, a modern library, auditoriums, dining facilities and student residential halls, as well as outdoor sports facilities. Our 1,400 students are taught in English by faculty members from approximately 20 different countries. More than 30% of the full-time faculty are from the United States and more than 30% are from Iraq. The University’s acclaimed preparatory program is the only such program in Iraq to have earned U.S. accreditation (CEA). AUIS graduates have continued their studies at leading universities in the United States and Europe. In addition to the University of Arizona, collaboration partners include Stanford University, Princeton University, and TIEC, a consortium of top-ranked public universities in Texas. More information regarding the University is available at www.auis.edu.krd.
The International Human Resources Coordinator plays a vital role in connecting the University to skilled faculty and staff members from other countries, including those from Iraq and the Kurdistan Region who currently live abroad. The position is located on the AUIS campus, with the opportunity for supervised recruiting trips abroad. Compensation is based on qualifications and is competitive.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working closely with University departments to develop job descriptions for job openings.
- Researching optimum advertising channels and developing other productive search strategies for qualified job candidates in specialized academic fields.
- Screening candidate applications.
- Formulating interview questions based on the applications and job description.
- Arranging and participating in candidate interviews.
- Preparing and developing reports on conducted interviews.
- Coordinating job offers and assisting in job negotiations with candidates.
- Managing onboarding activities and events for new international employees.
- Supporting academic departments on faculty exchanges with international universities.
- Preparing written reports.
- Assisting with other HR work as may be requested by the HR Director.
The ideal candidate exhibits the following characteristics:
- Native or near-native written and spoken English language skills.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity obtained from living in more than one country.
- Excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills.
- Minimum of three years’ office work experience, preferably in HR or recruiting.
- Ability to work with confidential information with judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work independently and manage tasks in a collegial, collaborative, transparent, and engaging manner.
- Commitment to the AUIS mission and an enthusiasm for a student-centered, interdisciplinary education in a liberal-arts environment that promotes critical thinking, diversity, and tolerance.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or higher degree.
- Valid passport.