Instructor in Writing Program
Arizona State University
Office of the University Provost Tempe: The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Department of English
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Open Date: Oct 20, 2022
Arizona State University - Rank: Instructor Specialty: Writing Programs
The Department of English at Arizona State University invites applications for the position of Instructor. The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses primarily in the Writing Program and in other disciplinary areas within the department as needed. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug 16 – May 15). A typical full-time course load is five classes per academic semester. Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, the needs of the unit, availability of resources, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses.
Anticipated start date is January 2023.
- MA in Rhetoric and Composition, English Education, Linguistics, Literature, or related discipline; or MFA in Creative Writing at time of appointment.
- Three years’ experience in higher education teaching composition courses, and evidence of effective teaching.
- Ph.D. or evidence of graduate coursework beyond the Master's level in Rhetoric and Composition or related areas;
- Experience teaching writing at all levels of the undergraduate curriculum.
- Evidence of experience in both theory and practice within a writing intensive field, such as: academic writing, creative writing, developmental writing, disciplinary writing, second language writing, and workplace writing.
- Evidence of participation in relevant professional development; evidence of experience teaching multi-media composing or online/hybrid courses.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of underrepresented student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities
This is a paperless search; only electronic materials will be accepted. To view the full position description, please visit the following: https://apply.interfolio.com/115634 or https://facultypositions.asu.edu/ (See Faculty Job ID# 105387).
To apply, please submit electronically the following:
- A letter of application,
- Current curriculum vita (CV);
- One-page statement of teaching philosophy,
- A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Three letters of recommendation about teaching ability,
- Unofficial graduate transcripts, and a summary of recent teaching evaluations.
No paper applications, faxes or emails will be accepted.
The applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Initial review of application will begin on November 20, 2022, if not filled, applications review will continue every week thereafter until search is closed.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
(See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.