Professional Advisor, Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- Fort Hays State University
- Kansas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 20, 2022
Robbins College of Business & Entrepreneurship
Job Posting Title
Professional Advisor, Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
This 12-month, full-time, non-teaching, non-tenure track, on-campus position proactively enhances the student experience by providing focused commitment to student success in their respective College. The professional advisor will report to the Dean of the Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship and coordinate activities with appropriate department chairs.
Advises on-campus and online undergraduate students enrolled at FHSU regarding information, procedures, and academic requirements of a specific program or major; evaluates students’ specific academic situations; and works with students to set reasonable academic goals aimed at timely completion of their chosen degree programs. Utilizes FHSU systems to prepare for advising of students. Interacts with students through the use of various technologies and in-person meetings. Professional advisors work with the dean of the respective college with regard to day-to-day operations and academic issues and the director of the Academic Advising and Career Exploration for training and development.
Persons in this position must possess advising, communication, and situation-management skills as they are required to interact continually with students in a professional manner. They must be able to influence students to move successfully and efficiently through their academic requirements and to anticipate and meet deadlines for registration, financial aid, etc. They will display a strong work ethic and will not hesitate to take ownership of a problem or a situation in which reasonable assistance to a student may be rendered. To be successful in this position requires a strong internal sense of urgency and the ability to be a self-starter. A well-developed ability to organize and prioritize work effectively is essential.
- Proactively communicates with advisees when assigned regarding registration procedures, academic policies, and other general academic information;
- Assesses the students’ stages of academic development and assists students to establish realistic and attainable academic goals with the primary duty being course registration each semester;
- Advises students on academic issues; identifies the educational options appropriate for each student as their situation dictates;
- Works collaboratively with units such as the Transfer and Military Center, Academic Advising and Career Exploration Office, and the Registrar’s Office regarding training, development, and degree requirements;
- Identifies available options for students to satisfy degree requirements in a timely manner, including a substantial number of student-support services designed to assist them;
- Proactively and systematically engages students to assist them in meeting each deadline needed to move them efficiently and effectively through the requirements to complete their degrees;
- Monitors academic progress of each student assigned to them. With the aid of the early alert system, analyzes progress reports from faculty; promotes satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion. With faculty, identifies and discusses current and potential needs or problem areas (e.g., study skills, tutoring needed, writing issues, etc.) and refers students to appropriate services;
- Maintains student files and records; documents all pertinent student information; updates student information system including advisor notes at regular intervals, after each contact with a student, and as needed in special circumstances;
- Makes students aware of relevant Fort Hays State University policies and procedures;
- Reviews mid-term and end-of-semester grades; conducts unscheduled grade audits as individual situations require;
- Assists students as needed in the completion of registration, adds, drops, etc.;
- Identifies options for students to satisfy specific degree requirements; evaluates and makes recommendations on desirable or needed adjustments to students’ academic programs;
- Utilizes the enrollment system to monitor advising enrollment reports;
- Assists students with registration and provides guidance in course selection in keeping with the students’ requirements to complete their degrees, and with consideration for their interests and abilities;
- Participates in the professional advising community at FHSU;
- Participates in training and development opportunities to enhance advising skills and abilities;
- Follows up with students who have not registered as start of each semester approaches;
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience in the field of academic advising.
- Experience working in an educational setting.
- Experience working in a customer service-related field.
- Knowledge of content and curriculum of one or more of the major programs in the college.
- An advanced degree.
- The ability and qualifications to meet other identifiable university academic or co-curricular needs.
Priority Deadline: November 18th, 2022
Base Salary Information:
Bachelor’s degree - $36,000 per year (12-month contract)
Master’s degree or higher - $39,000 per year (12-month contract)
Benefits : Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS . Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents : Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name : Dr. Karen Thal
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 785-628-4760
ABOUT THE COLLEGE:
Mission: The Fort Hays State University College of Business and Entrepreneurship (COBE) offers highly engaging educational experiences, preparing and supporting our students and alumni for professional success in a dynamic, global environment. Our focus is on instructional excellence, supported by faculty and student research; and the College provides service that benefits the university, our disciplines, and the greater community. (Mission, Adopted: March 2105)
Description: The college consists of four large and growing departments: Applied Business Studies; Economics, Finance, and Accounting; Informatics; and Management and consists of more than 50 full-time faculty supported by key staff. In addition to a wide range of undergraduate programs, it has a significant sized Master of Business Administration program and offers Master of Professional Studies degrees in Human Resource Management and varying areas of Informatics. On-campus students majoring in these academic areas number approximately 800 and domestic distance learning students’ number 1150. The COBE is housed in the historic, but recently remodeled McCartney Hall and newly constructed Hammond Hall. In addition to on-campus offerings, the college offers several undergraduate and graduate degrees on-line. It also participates in joint degrees with two partners universities in China. Among the college’s many unique attributes is the Dane G. Hansen Entrepreneurship Scholarship Hall which will open with the 2016-2017 academic year.
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert