Residential Life Operations
Job Posting Title
Community Director, Residential Life
The Community Director oversees daily operations related to
residence life, staff, and student housing. Selects, trains,
supervises, and evaluates residential life student staff. Provides
personal, academic, educational, disciplinary, crisis management,
and counseling services to students through various programs and
projects. Coordinates with administrative staff to maintain
facilities and operations. Maintains positive working relationships
with other student affairs and campus life offices in order to
facilitate programming and improve services. Assists with the
general administration of residence hall student housing. Works
under supervision of the Assistant Director of Residential Life to
administer programs, supervise undergraduate and graduate staff,
and interact positively with students.
- Qualified candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Higher Education,
Counseling, Student Affairs or a related area.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills in order to
solve problems and resolve conflict.
- Ability to work with multiple campus constituents.
- One or more years of supervision experience.
- One or more years of advising experience.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Basic office computer skills and the ability to learn new
November 13, 2022 . Applications will be
accepted until the position is filled.
- Supervise, Higher Education in Student Affairs Graduate
- Assist in the development and implementation of an overall
Residential Life Program, providing opportunities for student
development and leadership training in assigned residence
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate Community Assistants
and Desk Assistants according to work product and compliance with
University policies and procedures.
- Provide constructive feedback and maintain and cooperative
working environment. Provide Community Assistants, Desk Assistants,
and other student employees with opportunities for training and
development through planned presentations and programming.
- Implement conflict resolution procedures and oversee the
delivery of counseling services for staff and students dealing with
problems related to residence life. Work with students and staff to
resolve conflicts, assist with personal and academic problems,
mental health concerns, discuss diversity issues, and maintain
- Build and maintain a working knowledge of the campus and
surrounding community in order to assist students with referrals
and opportunities for development.
- Build and maintain positive interactions with students through
email communications, meetings, and group discussions.
- Utilize Maxient to process all conduct and meet with students
concerning disciplinary issues and serve as Judicial Hearing
Officer. Administer judicial sanctions using, as appropriate.
- Oversee residence hall operations, such as room assignments,
key distribution and collection, damage assessment, disciplinary
reporting, billing, safety checks, room condition reports, and
- Serve as a budgeting officer for a Community Director Budget as
well as Community Council Budget.
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship with
facilities and custodial staff to ensure all facilities needs are
- Coordinate room and roommate assignments; deliver assignments,
make appropriate changes as necessary, and resolve any problems
according to established policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of furniture,
equipment, and supplies for residence hall facilities and housing
units. Monitor the efficacy of housekeeping services and
preventative maintenance procedures, and make improvements as
necessary. Maintain safety protocols.
- Serve on campus wide on-call duty rotation.
- Respond to concerns about facilities, medical emergencies,
mental health concerns or safety and security. Conduct follow up
and coordination of resources as necessary.
- Attend weekly departmental staff meetings.
- Serve on departmental or University committees that support the
development of residence life programs and resources.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To apply for this position, please
Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
: Applicants should submit a
cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three
professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in
If you have questions regarding the position, please
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately
20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on
Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health
care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for
the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent
recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive
Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill
Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking,
running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large
lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and
camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to
Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to
excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60
restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and
very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming,
low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who
call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination
– Fort Hays State University is
an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability
or veteran status.
Final candidate will have consented to and
successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and
your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please
contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
further information on how this might affect you.