At VCU, we exceed through learning, research, creativity, service
and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. As a premier,
urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of
the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work.
It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and
your career can thrive.
Since its founding in 1937, the VCU School of Business has built
strong ties with the Richmond community and beyond. Offering 13
bachelor’s and 19 master’s degrees, as well as three Ph.D.
concentrations and seven certificate programs, we welcome nearly
4,000 students each year.
Forbes ranks Virginia first as the Best Place to Do Business.
Richmond, as the capital of Virginia, is located in the heart of
the east coast economic corridor with more than half of the U.S.
population within a 750-mile radius. It is home to Fortune 1000
companies and small start-ups.
Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of Business seeks a
strategic, collaborative and experienced development professional
to serve as Executive Director of Development. Reporting jointly to
the Dean of VCU’s School of Business and Associate Vice President
for Development, the Executive Director will inspire a talented
team to greater levels of achievement and devise strategies to
advance corporate partnerships, deepen alumni relationships and
increase philanthropic support for the school.
This is a pivotal time in the school’s history as it welcomes a new
dean with an ambitious agenda to guide the School of Business on a
forward-thinking path to academic and student excellence and
sustainable success. The university recently concluded the Make It
Real Campaign and is planning for the launch of the next capital
campaign. The Executive Director of Development will steer planning
and operational preparations for the School’s contributions to the
next campaign, the most aggressive in the university’s
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to plan,
execute, secure and steward major gifts and the ability to inspire
and manage development team members around a shared vision for the
school’s long-term success.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide long-range strategic planning and oversight of a
comprehensive, major and principal gift fundraising strategy that
aligns with VCU School of Business and university campaign
- Work closely with VCU’s office of Development and Alumni
Relations, School of Business leadership and School of Business
Foundation to craft campaign vision and identify philanthropic
opportunities that enhance the School’s mission and goals;
- Supervise, coach and mentor a team of major, annual and
corporate gift officers assigned to the school;
- Cultivate, encourage and personally solicit principal, major
and annual gifts from school alumni and volunteers;
- Serve as a development liaison and subject matter expert for
the VCU School of Business
- Successfully conduct a high number of quality engagement
interactions through personal visits requiring travel, telephone
and zoom solicitations, and coordinated personal written proposals
in order to obtain and/or increase major gift contributions.
- Steward relationships with donors and provide opportunities for
them to stay connected to the school, and its programs;
- Provide assistance to donors regarding tax laws, policies and
procedures and in resolving problems with university administrators
and faculty in order to maintain a positive image of the
- Work with university prospect development staff to identify
prospective donors and alumni leaders;
- Work with the AVP for Planned Giving to market and secure
planned gifts on behalf of the School;
- Collaborate with academic leaders to expand the corporate
- Bachelor's degree;
- Seven or more years of demonstrated success identifying,
qualifying and soliciting major gift prospects, in the context of
higher education or another complex organization;
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse,
equitable and inclusive environment;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, secure and steward 6 and
7-figure gifts through individual effort;
- Sound judgment, strong interpersonal skills and professional
credibility required to develop relationships of trust and respect
with a diverse range of constituents, including donors, prospects,
faculty, senior administrators, volunteers and stakeholders and
- Highest ethical standards, attention to confidentiality;
- The ability to work independently, to meet deadlines and
consistently achieve goals while also driving and supporting team
success in a matrix environment;
- Demonstrated experience managing fundraising staff;
- Attention to detail and the ability to use a database to
maintain and review records and reports such as donor data,
prospect contacts, solicitations, and proposals;
- Working knowledge of tax laws affecting charitable giving;
- Must be able to travel involving automobile and/or airplane.
Overnight and long-distance travel may be necessary;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Applicants should provide:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- CFRE certification
- Statement of Interest (via cover letter) (Required)
- Current Resume and/or Curriculum Vitae (Required)
- Diversity statement (Required)
All full-time university staff are eligible for our generous
benefits package that includes choices for health, vision and
dental coverage, life-insurance, short and long-term disability
coverage, retirement planning, tax-deferred annuity and cash match
programs, flexible spending accounts, tuition benefits, significant
paid-time off, 12 paid holidays and more.
Explore our robust benefit package here:
We’re VCU - more than 300,000 strong. A mix of attitudes, styles
and stories. There’s nowhere like this and no one like us.
This isn't business as usual. It's innovation at work. We are
unlike any business school you've ever seen.
Join us. You can be unstoppable here.
Commensurate with experience.
This posting will close on November 27th, 2022.
School of Business - Dean's Office
UF - University Employee FT
FLSA Exemption Status: