Part-Time Peer Mentor, Outreach-State
- Lone Star College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-CyFair
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Located in suburban northwest Houston in the heart of the CyFair Community, the college provides a full range of offerings including unique programs in fire science technology, logistics management and sonography. Since opening our award winning campus in 2003, the college has experienced record growth and supports an exciting learning environment that brings together state-of-the-art technology and active, collaborative learning.
Location address is 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX 77433.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This position will mentor and advise students about higher education at participating institutions of higher education or local high schools. Mentors will provide information to high school students at events such as College Nights and FAFSA Saturdays. Required to provide high level information. May interact one-on-one with students. May interact with a high volume of customers. Will work and assist diverse groups.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide general information related to the department
- Record maintenance, preparation and review of forms, data entry
- Provide handouts and/or forms to customers
- Maintain inventory
- Event preparation and support
- Collect and record data
- Maintain knowledge of multiple programs
- Provide limited technology support to end users
- Interpret regulations and policies
- Maintain and/or process records
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer service
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Working knowledge of general office procedures and practices
- Proficiency with one or more office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be a currently enrolled Lone Star student pursuing a course of study
Hourly Pay Rate is $15.60
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert