DEPARTMENT: College of Agriculture Community and the Science
REPORTS TO: Associate Extension Administrator
EFFECTIVE DATE: Position will Remain Open until Filled
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Program Evaluation Specialist will
serve as a member of the Program and Staff Development Unit. The
Evaluation Specialist will provide leadership to build Cooperative
Extension's capacity to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of
educational programs in achieving desired results and to contribute
to individual, community and organizational learning and
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: This position will coordinate the
implementation of the Cooperative Extension Program Strategic and
Organizational Plan, and reporting for the NIFA Plan of Work, and
Accomplishment Report. Serve as the primary contact when working
with the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Program and
Staff Development Unit. This position 100% Extension and will serve
as a member of the Cooperative Extension Leadership Team and report
to the Associate Extension Administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Providing technical assistance to Extension colleagues in
program design, logic model development, evaluation
planning/design, & data collection/analysis methods
2. Gather and analyze quantitative and qualitative data.
3. Write and develop grant proposals and secure extramural funding
for Cooperative Extension.
4. Demonstrated ability in designing, implementing, evaluating and
reporting impactful community-based non-formal education programs
with a strong knowledge of Cooperative Extension.
5. Develop evaluation strategies, assessment instruments, and
impact reports for Extension educational programs and funded
projects in assigned program areas.
6. Serve as a resource to Extension professionals in assigned
program areas in formulating evaluation plans during grant and
7. Develop and maintain a system of documenting effectiveness of
Extension educational efforts in assigned program areas.
8. Develop and deliver training and serve as a resource person to
county and state Extension personnel in program development and
9. Using data compiled from Kentucky Extension Reporting System and
other sources, write the Extension sections of the annual KSU
Extension Report of Accomplishments (the federal report) by the
10. Provide leadership over the impact statement and submission
process including Extension program reports and communicate key
impacts to stakeholders and funding agencies.
11. Work with Media and Communications to develop and maintain
strategies for communicating the mission and effectiveness of
Extension programs for Kentucky.
12. In coordination with Media and Communications, create reports
and infographics to share program data and impacts with state and
federal agencies and stakeholders. Reports should be databased,
visually attractive, and timely for use at events such as Council
for Agriculture Research Extension and Teaching (CARET) meetings
and the Public Issues Leadership Development (PILD)
14. Attend and actively participate in the Association of Extension
Administrators winter and summer meetings.
15. Attend the Southern Region Program Leaders Network (SRPLN)
conference and participate in quarterly conference calls (Program
and Staff Development).
16. Attend National Extension Research and Administrative Officers
17. Attend the National Association Extension Program and Staff
Development Professionals Conference (NAEPSDP).
OTHER DUTIES: The position will conduct other duties as
• Master’s degree required, but a terminal degree preferred. The
degree must be from an accredited university in agricultural and/or
extension education, evaluation, adult education, human sciences,
economics, behavioral, and social sciences, public policy, or
closely related field.
• A minimum of three to five years of experience in program
development, or demonstrated ability and skill in educational
program planning, implementation and evaluation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Experience conducting program evaluation using various social
science research methods including focus groups, surveys, and
key-informant interviews; experience in research methodology
including quantitative and qualitative analysis and, experience in
creating evaluation reports.
• Strong leadership skills, including experience in coaching,
team-building, resource management, and partnership
• Evidence of administrative leadership, managerial skills, and the
ability to work as a team member.
• Experience with computer software for word processing,
spreadsheets, databases, and data analysis
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of Extension program development process, evaluation,
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively
with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to write coherently and concisely, using appropriate
grammar and spelling.
• Ability to read and follow directions.
• Ability to develop, maintain, and use spreadsheets and
• Demonstrated time management and organizational skills to
coordinate projects and people, prioritize and track multiple
projects simultaneously, and meet critical deadlines.
• Ability to effectively use data analysis software to run
statistical tests SPSS etc.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• Work could involve some exposure to unusual elements, such as
extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors,
and/or loud noises.
• Requires some standing or walking.
• Ability to lift 40 lbs.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Extensive travel required.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical
requirements listed in this job description represent the essential
duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform
either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions
listed do not necessarily include all activities that the
individual may perform. The College of Agriculture, Community, and
the Sciences strives for inclusive excellence and is interested in
qualified candidates who can contribute to this effort through
their research, teaching, and/or Extension programs