Serves as a key player to the physical plant operation and control
of the Central Heating Plant. Responsible for the overall operation
of the Central Heating Plant to include; plant operation duties,
inspections and watch standing, and campus alarm monitoring.
This position is considered in the event that:
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that
would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if
instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or
his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s
Staff (Leadership Team).
Degree of Independent Action Performed
- Perform routine daily operations on all steam generating,
auxiliary and ice rink equipment as outlined in the CHP Preventive
- Monitor and operate steam generation equipment and
- Monitor, analyze and control manual and automated systems.
- Stand boiler plant watch and perform firefighter duties as
required and outlined below.
- Monitor and record high and low pressure system steam outputs,
boiler water temperature, pressure and water levels, as well as
- Maintain accurate logs and records of outside air temperature,
feeding water temperature, boiler water levels, receiving water
temperature and steam pressures.
- Monitor & operate ice rink equipment to include checking
and recording ammonia levels, brine system temperatures.
- Operate equipment-using computers, PLCs, meters, hand and power
- Utilize mobile devices and a computerized maintenance
management system (CMMS) to receive, document, and complete work
- Observing and reporting, through the CMMS, defects,
deterioration and wear and tear on the facilities.
- Monitor campus building automation system alarms; evaluate
issues to determine priorities and appropriate response.
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Heating Plant Technician
and Plant Manager, but is expected to work with a high level of
independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of
initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff
and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA
administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff.
External contacts may include parents, outside organizations,
visitors and local community neighbors.
Skills and Knowledge
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Some college experience helpful.
- Training in HVAC field is required.
- Training in building automation systems is preferred.
- Licensor as Stationary Engineer preferred.
- Experience in steam plant operation or maintenance.
- Experience with computer based controls, building automation
systems, steam and hydronic heating systems, and air conditioning
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an
orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in
all aspects of Academy life.
- Experience operating commercial refrigeration equipment
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Efficiently operate equipment related computers.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and will
require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of
time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects
as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Ability to lift and transport a minimum of 50lbs without
- Ability to work off ladders, aerial platforms, and lifts.
- Ability t o withstand exposure to inclement weather (rain,
snow, sleet, freezing temperatures, etc.)
1. Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed
every 5 years).
2. Clean Driving record (re viewed annually).