- San Diego State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Career Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Req No: 2022-14496
Type: Full-Time Contract
This position is open until filled with an initial application review to take place after October 11, 2022.
Under the direction of the Director for Career Pathways and Social Capital, and in conjunction with the Avenues for Success team, the Career Specialist is responsible for working with students, parents, teachers, counselors, administrators, and other relevant persons to support the development and implementation of career exploration initiatives and programming for 6th-8th graders at Wilson Middle School. It will be necessary to work with contact persons in each school to ensure that a culture of career exploration and lifelong learning is being created through middle school and beyond.
The Career Specialist understands the importance of career development as part of student development, lifelong learning and building social capital, and supports established standards around college and career readiness programming that leads to increased college enrollment, graduation rates, career preparedness and viable pathways to employment.
Develop and Lead Effective & Engaging Career Education Programming (40%)
- Support and interpret career assessments
- Provide group career education on topics such as career and industries exploration and setting career goals
- Create and deliver age-relevant, engaging, hands-on workshops and training that expose students to topics on STEM career pathways
Build Social Capital for Students to Access Meaningful Connections with the Community (30%)
- Help cultivate relationships with local community partners and prospective employers that bridge students’ career interests and local sectors needs
- Support employer engagement by organizing events such as industry visits, career panels, networking events, job fairs
- Serves as a resource regarding questions, concerns and issues related to career exploration initiatives and to Avenues for Success programming
- Collaborate with existing partners to support school-driven initiatives and events, such as career Academies
- Serves as a resource on opportunities for internships, externships, jobs
- Assist in Avenues for Success’ events and special outreach presentation requests and projects
- Support development of peer-mentoring programs
Create and Implement Experiential Learning Opportunities to Give Students Exposure to STEM Career Pathways as Well as Gain Practical, Career-Relevant Experience (30%)
- Coordinate one-time career exploration events and programming, such as field trips
- Serves as a resource to experiential learning opportunities, such as internships, externships, volunteering
- Support the development and coordination of summer enrichment programs that focus on career exploration and college preparation
- Assist in the planning of community service projects
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of college preparation and career readiness programs
- Knowledge and ability of student advising programs and techniques
- Knowledgeable in adolescent and college development. Knowledge of college access program planning, implementation, coordination, and evaluation skills.
- Knowledge of career and STEM-related program planning, implementation, coordination, and evaluation
- Knowledge of university admissions process and requirements
- Knowledge of best practices related to college and career readiness
- Ability to proactively organize and plan work and projects including handling multiple priorities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to relate well to others within the school and university environments.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, and with sensitivity with students, supervisees, co-workers, and various audiences.
- Ability to create program outreach/marketing materials.
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, clients, and study participants
- Ability to understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Ability to relate well to others within the project environment.
- Ability to display motivation and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to display organization, meet deadlines, display strong detail orientation, possess good judgment and common sense
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and environments
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One-year of student services work experience or related field.
- Majors in Social Services, Human Services, Education, Psychology, Sociology, Child Development, Counseling preferred
- Experience working with youth ages 11-19
- Bilingual (Spanish, English, or Vietnamese)
ADDITIONAL APPLICANT INFORMATION:
- The COVID-19 vaccine is required by the CSU for all SDSU Research Foundation employees as a condition of employment. Should you be offered a position, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination status. Individuals who obtain an approved medical or religious exemption on file will be required to complete regular COVID-19 testing
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
- San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
To apply, visit https://careers-sdsurf.icims.com/jobs/14496/career-specialist/job?in_iframe=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert