International Student and Scholar Advisor
About the Opportunity
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Global Services
(Canada), the International Student and Scholar Advisor (ISSA)
serves as a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor
(RISIA or RCIC) provides immigration advising to international
students and scholars at Northeastern University as per the federal
guidelines. Advising topics include but are not limited to,
providing advice on applications for study permits and associated
work permits, visas and permits for accompanying family members,
maintaining status in good standing, compliance with regulations
regarding international students, and pathways to immigration. This
role will provide accurate and timely information to a diverse
range of students, which may include visiting students, study away
students, and transfers from other NU global campuses, and will
facilitate student support through other internal and external
support department and staff.
With a holistic mindset, the ISSA will take a proactive approach to
provide comprehensive advising to students including providing
support in the area of pre-arrival support, orientation and
cultural adaptation, making referrals to other institutional and
third-party services and resources. The incumbent will regularly
respond to students' inquiries, proactively identify and advise
students where they may need guidance and support and assist with
proactive future planning that will effectively anticipate the
needs in the student lifecycle, related to immigration regulations
and other support measures.
The ISSA will support the development of international student
services at the Canadian campus locations, including advising,
orientations, information sessions, and support services grounded
in CBIE and NAFSA best practices in service of the goal to retain
and engage international students in the university community,
creating an environment that contributes to student success.
Additionally, as a member of the Office of Global Services team,
this role will communicate and coordinate with various departments
at other Northeastern campus locations regarding campus
coordination and general inquiries.
- Advising on the interpretation of immigration regulations and
other related government policies within the scope of certification
through the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory
- Monitoring maintenance of study permit conditions by
international students on campus.
- Being responsible for initial student intake processing and
- Assist in delivering orientation programs for initial and
transferring international students.
- Monitoring international students' enrollment status and
compliance with federal regulations and institutional
- Advising on permits and timing related to students' co-op
planning, including academic trajectory in conjunction with
academic advising staff.
- Provide support for the cultural transition and experience for
international students, and ongoing engagement of students for
successful performance, in partnership with student services staff
and academic areas.
- Managing and solving any status issues and providing support
and information for resolution of study permit conditions as
- Complete administrative tasks related to the maintenance of
student files, issuance of letters in support of students, and
other similar duties.
- Provide support for events and activities organized to support
international student retention, success, integration and
- Immigration Consultant Certificate (in good standing with the
Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) as a
Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) or
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC)
- Minimum of 3 years of formal experience in advising students,
developing and delivering workshops, activities and events focused
on student success and supporting students through transformative
- Experience providing service to newcomers to Canada in academic
or settlement services
- Demonstrated intercultural competence
- Bachelor's degree required
- Exceptional level of attention to details, customer service,
and stakeholder management skills in order to support Canadian
international student services and case manage student
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills,
demonstrated intercultural competence
- 2-3 years of experience performing administrative tasks,
proficient with MS Office products and student learning
- Fluency in other languages.
- Experience living or working abroad.
- Experience with Salesforce, Banner, Canvass
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Toronto-ON-Canada/International-Student-and-Scholar-Advisor_R109877