Graphic Designer, Lead
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
- NAU Marketing embraces a hybrid workplace model. As such, this
position may work from our Flagstaff Campus office or may adopt a
hybrid campus/home schedule. A fully remote model may also be
- For consideration please include a cover letter and portfolio
(bonus with applicable samples in higher ed or brand marketing)
with your application and resume.
- This position occasionally requires overtime to meet extremely
tight project timelines.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Design, the Graphic
Designer, Lead is an essential part of the University Marketing
team. This dynamic team strengthens NAU's brand by supporting
department and university initiatives and objectives. The Graphic
Designer, Lead will create high-level visual communication designs
for digital and print, while inspiring the design team with an
innovative, creative vision. The vast range of materials include
but aren't limited to brochures, advertisements, flyers, posters,
emails, signage, annual reports, view books, presentations, and
templates. These design solutions will be delivered through a
variety of channels, including but not limited to print
collaterals, earned and paid media, as well as owned media (the
¿The successful candidate will bring their fresh perspective into
concepts that meet the needs of diverse audiences and formats while
staying true to brand standards. The Graphic Designer, Lead will
thrive as a vocal and active member of an integrated communications
and marketing unit that is committed both to the institution's
mission and to continuous team building.
Visual Communication, Graphic Design - 70%
- Confidently leads design initiatives or projects reinforcing
NAU's mission with creative energy and enthusiasm in design
practices and collaboration.
- Skillfully interprets and communicates the NAU experience and
advances the university's visual identity through sophisticated
graphic design choices that align with the NAU brand.
- Prepares a variety of compelling graphic design and digital
work, developing inspiring solutions for posters, executive
presentations, digital signage, brochures, fliers, annual reports,
campaigns, advertisements, and other university publications.
- Design in a range of specialized production techniques and
- Delivers design projects from beginning to end, often with
complete autonomy in decision making and the ability to implement
new procedures at own discretion.
- Highly collaborative with units within University Marketing
team to maintain alignment of messaging, photography, web and video
across creative materials.
- Coordinates and leads team members in developing ideas;
suggesting new or modifying existing ideas; demonstrating graphic
techniques and advising other unit personnel on techniques and
methods to use.
- Possesses an expert level of experience in working with both
pre-press (printing) specifications and digital design
- Routinely uses the WorkFront department project management
software system to track and report project statuses and updates,
upload and collaborate on design proofs, manage workload, and
- Provides photo direction and recommendations as needed for
- Works with print vendors, reviewing digital and physical proofs
with experience in press supervision to ensure product
- Organizes and maintains accurate records of work in progress
for department records.
- Is well versed in the utilization of industry related software
- Stays abreast of emerging technologies, methods, and design
- Implements accessibility best practices in print and digital
design to comply with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) design
- Operates with little to no supervision.
Mentoring and Leadership - 20%
- Performs design reviews and critiques to help maximize the
creative potential of the design team and know what makes each of
- Guides and advises fellow employees to help foster
collaboration and solutions to influence long-term strategic
- Confidently communicates and provides direction to fellow
employees; may also have direct communication with institutional
- Supervises student and freelance employees.
- Advocates design thinking.
Administrative and Technical - 5%
- Manages their own daily workflow, updates, time-tracking and
communications using Workfront project management software.
- Performs computer maintenance, troubleshooting, and software
updates as necessary at their workstation.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive
maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions;
troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining
equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment.
- Assists in training and on-boarding new team hires.
Other - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual communications, or
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Portfolio of accomplished design work demonstrating an ability
to design for a range of media and purposes.
- Demonstrated team leadership strongly preferred.
- Experience managing assets and brand identity guidelines for a
large organization or brand.
- Experience supporting brand-level, high-profile, and
large-scale marketing initiatives.
- Professional experience working within a university or
similarly complex organization.
- Background in marketing or agency experience.
- Master's degree in related field.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of graphic design tools and processes for
various media, including relevant digital media applications.
- Expert knowledge of university policies related to the
university's visual identity.
- Expert knowledge of design concepts and practices supporting
brand-level, high-profile, and large-scale marketing
- Expert knowledge and experience of working within established
institutional brands and related brand standards.
- Knowledge and experience of developing marketing collateral
with an emphasis on working with diverse audiences and spanning
across a variety of media.
- Knowledge of current ADA accessibility standards concerning
- Experience managing assets and the and brand identity
guidelines for a large organization or brand.
- Provide guidance and leadership on projects; creating and
implementing additional training and development as needed.
- Mastery of industry related software applications such as Adobe
Creative Cloud suite of products (to include InDesign, Photoshop,
Illustrator, Acrobat and other related applications).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
- Proficiency in digital asset and project management
- Experience in delivering complex presentations and design
- Skill in preparing reports and summaries.
- Design for a wide range of media and purposes.
- Organize and coordinate work within schedule constraints and
handle emergent requirements in a timely manner.
- Pay close attention to detail in work productivity while
remaining flexible for big-picture/systems thinking.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving, organizational, and
- Oversee workflow of the design team, assists Design Manager in
prioritizing and assigning projects.
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment and to pursue multiple
- Operate independently with little to no supervision.
- Ability to engage with constructive design critique with
- Apply a broad perspective to improve existing procedures within
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $54,779 - $68,474. Annual salary
commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an
excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and
vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement
System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and
10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is
available on the Human
Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free
campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis,
renewable each 6 months according to
terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
offered a position will be eligible for state health plans
(including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible
on the first day of the pay period following their
enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31
days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee
chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona
State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following
6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who
choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which
is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed
staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment.
Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the
ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
January 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606729&PostingSeq=1