Graphic Designer, Lead
- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 17, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Design & Graphic Arts
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Graphic Designer, Lead
Location: Marketing Department
Job ID: 606729
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- NAU Marketing embraces a hybrid workplace model. As such, this position may work from our Flagstaff Campus office or may adopt a hybrid campus/home schedule. A fully remote model may also be considered.
- For consideration please include a cover letter and portfolio (bonus with applicable samples in higher ed or brand marketing) with your application and resume.
- This position occasionally requires overtime to meet extremely tight project timelines.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Design, the Graphic Designer, Lead is an essential part of the University Marketing team. This dynamic team strengthens NAU's brand by supporting department and university initiatives and objectives. The Graphic Designer, Lead will create high-level visual communication designs for digital and print, while inspiring the design team with an innovative, creative vision. The vast range of materials include but aren't limited to brochures, advertisements, flyers, posters, emails, signage, annual reports, view books, presentations, and templates. These design solutions will be delivered through a variety of channels, including but not limited to print collaterals, earned and paid media, as well as owned media (the university's website).
¿The successful candidate will bring their fresh perspective into concepts that meet the needs of diverse audiences and formats while staying true to brand standards. The Graphic Designer, Lead will thrive as a vocal and active member of an integrated communications and marketing unit that is committed both to the institution's mission and to continuous team building.
Visual Communication, Graphic Design - 70%
- Confidently leads design initiatives or projects reinforcing NAU's mission with creative energy and enthusiasm in design practices and collaboration.
- Skillfully interprets and communicates the NAU experience and advances the university's visual identity through sophisticated graphic design choices that align with the NAU brand.
- Prepares a variety of compelling graphic design and digital work, developing inspiring solutions for posters, executive presentations, digital signage, brochures, fliers, annual reports, campaigns, advertisements, and other university publications.
- Design in a range of specialized production techniques and methods.
- Delivers design projects from beginning to end, often with complete autonomy in decision making and the ability to implement new procedures at own discretion.
- Highly collaborative with units within University Marketing team to maintain alignment of messaging, photography, web and video across creative materials.
- Coordinates and leads team members in developing ideas; suggesting new or modifying existing ideas; demonstrating graphic techniques and advising other unit personnel on techniques and methods to use.
- Possesses an expert level of experience in working with both pre-press (printing) specifications and digital design requirements.
- Routinely uses the WorkFront department project management software system to track and report project statuses and updates, upload and collaborate on design proofs, manage workload, and resolve issues.
- Provides photo direction and recommendations as needed for projects.
- Works with print vendors, reviewing digital and physical proofs with experience in press supervision to ensure product quality.
- Organizes and maintains accurate records of work in progress for department records.
- Is well versed in the utilization of industry related software applications.
- Stays abreast of emerging technologies, methods, and design trends.
- Implements accessibility best practices in print and digital design to comply with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) design requirements.
- Operates with little to no supervision.
Mentoring and Leadership - 20%
- Performs design reviews and critiques to help maximize the creative potential of the design team and know what makes each of them tick.
- Guides and advises fellow employees to help foster collaboration and solutions to influence long-term strategic goals.
- Confidently communicates and provides direction to fellow employees; may also have direct communication with institutional leadership.
- Supervises student and freelance employees.
- Advocates design thinking.
Administrative and Technical - 5%
- Manages their own daily workflow, updates, time-tracking and communications using Workfront project management software.
- Performs computer maintenance, troubleshooting, and software updates as necessary at their workstation.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment.
- Assists in training and on-boarding new team hires.
Other - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual communications, or related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Portfolio of accomplished design work demonstrating an ability to design for a range of media and purposes.
- Demonstrated team leadership strongly preferred.
- Experience managing assets and brand identity guidelines for a large organization or brand.
- Experience supporting brand-level, high-profile, and large-scale marketing initiatives.
- Professional experience working within a university or similarly complex organization.
- Background in marketing or agency experience.
- Master's degree in related field.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of graphic design tools and processes for various media, including relevant digital media applications.
- Expert knowledge of university policies related to the university's visual identity.
- Expert knowledge of design concepts and practices supporting brand-level, high-profile, and large-scale marketing initiatives.
- Expert knowledge and experience of working within established institutional brands and related brand standards.
- Knowledge and experience of developing marketing collateral with an emphasis on working with diverse audiences and spanning across a variety of media.
- Knowledge of current ADA accessibility standards concerning design requirements.
- Experience managing assets and the and brand identity guidelines for a large organization or brand.
- Provide guidance and leadership on projects; creating and implementing additional training and development as needed.
- Mastery of industry related software applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud suite of products (to include InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and other related applications).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in digital asset and project management systems.
- Experience in delivering complex presentations and design pitches.
- Skill in preparing reports and summaries.
- Design for a wide range of media and purposes.
- Organize and coordinate work within schedule constraints and handle emergent requirements in a timely manner.
- Pay close attention to detail in work productivity while remaining flexible for big-picture/systems thinking.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Oversee workflow of the design team, assists Design Manager in prioritizing and assigning projects.
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment and to pursue multiple projects simultaneously.
- Operate independently with little to no supervision.
- Ability to engage with constructive design critique with professionalism.
- Apply a broad perspective to improve existing procedures within the department.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $54,779 - $68,474. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
January 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606729&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert