KPBS Freelancer Reporter (Pool)
$25.00 per hour
The Freelancer Reporter covers news of local relevance and often
national significance across all KPBS beats, as directed. The
reporter will work collaboratively with beat reporters, and at the
direction of the News Editor. The reporter will also work in
coordination with other members of the News Division.
KPBS beats involve taking complex concepts and rendering them into
accessible and compelling stories. These stories will be carefully
grounded in fact, but can still be playful or moving as the subject
KPBS news beats are, but not exclusive to, arts & culture,
border, education, environment, health, investigative, metro, and
The Reporter will pitch news stories, or be assigned stories by the
editors, that can be distributed on KPBS radio, TV, KPBS.org, KPBS
social networking and KPBS mobile. The news stories will be
produced in formats for radio newscasts, in-depth radio features,
TV packages, multi-media projects and special reports as assigned.
The Reporter works closely with online producers and editors to
create original content in support of beat reporting.
The Reporter may be assigned to anchor radio newscasts, and appear
as a guest or host on KPBS TV and radio programs. The Reporter is
expected to participate in station on-air fundraising activities,
and make appearances for KPBS community-building events and other
public relations activities.
This position is filled on an on-call, as-needed basis with no
News Reporting and Producing:
- KPBS News Reporters have a bevy of options to employ when
providing news content: spot news, feature reports, cut and copy,
live debrief, tape talk, field packages, photos, video, audio, blog
posts, and newscasts. The primary flow of work will be to start a
story online, shoot video on the topic and edit it or work in
partnership with a videographer for longer pieces as needed, and
move the gathered content effectively across all news
- The reporter, at the direction of the Director of News and
Editorial Strategy, will follow the KPBS Strategic Plan and
- The reporter researches topics, develops contacts and
interviews sources, maintains notes and broadcast recordings,
writes and edits reports, produces and voices reports for air, and
works with a production unit to produce TV and multi-media
- Possesses excellent storytelling skills and high journalistic
- Reads and follows major developments on general stories, and
especially on issues s/he has covered in the past
- Maintains diverse contact lists and files for on-going
continuity of coverage and accumulation of knowledge
- Brainstorms story ideas with reporters, supervisor, producers
and digital team.
attends meetings, represents the
station at public events, and is responsible for appropriate record
keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment and
other duties as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work in journalism.
- Demonstrated excellence in news judgment and ability to
generate engaging story ideas.
- Ability to think creatively about topics and story angles.
- Knowledge and adherence to high ethical standards.
- Ability to start stories online first.
- Knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling and AP
- Ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple stories at once, and
shift gears quickly.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with editors and
station colleagues, demonstrating at all times respect for the
diverse constituencies at KPBS and within the public broadcasting
- Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and proof of
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Be able to work in breaking news situations.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be
completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a
position with SDSU Research Foundation
- Minimum two years professional, progressively responsible
experience in journalism.
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an
To apply, visit https://careers-sdsurf.icims.com/jobs/14148/kpbs-freelancer-reporter-%28pool%29/job?in_iframe=1