Drew University is seeking a Head of Access Services in the
University Library. Reporting to the Library Director, this 12
month staff position will ensure service excellence, consistency,
creativity, and efficiency in the library’s circulation,
interlibrary loan (ILL), and reserves functions. Additionally, the
position will be responsible for managing library spaces, building
maintenance, two part time staff members, student workers, and
- Oversees and supervises Access Services staff members.
Coordinates workflows to ensure that Access Services runs smoothly
and work is completed on a timely basis. Hires and trains new
students and circulation/ILL staff members.
- Leads ILL work, ensuring that borrowing and lending requests
are processed on a timely basis.
- Interviews, hires, trains, evaluates student assistants;
monitors their progress and job performance. Works to incorporate
work experience initiatives into the student assistant position.
Creates instructional documentation for student workers and revises
- Oversees reserve requests by communicating with Faculty on an
ongoing basis. Ensures materials are gathered and processed onto
reserve in a timely and accurate manner. Runs reports and compiles
usage and other reserve statistics as required.
- Supervises the Circulation Desk, providing service, handling
inquiries, identifying and finding materials, explaining policies
and procedures, providing directions, reporting building issues,
and resolving problems.
- Assesses all departmental operations and adapts policies,
procedures and schedules according to best practices.
- Leads Stacks Management, including full circulation lifecycle
to ensure accurate physical holdings: retrieval and distribution of
holds, loans, reshelving, and shifting.
- Act as point person for building issues; manages scheduling and
access to group spaces, coordinates with Facilities
Management/Housekeeping and Security as needed to keep building
clean and in good repair.
- Other duties as assigned.
Weekend and evening hours may be required. This position is located
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of three years progressively responsible supervisory
experience in a library.
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills,
with a strong service orientation.
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with good attention to
- Flexibility of schedule.
Open until filled.
How to Apply:
- Experience with integrated library systems and commonly used
- Experience working in Academic Libraries.
- Prior work experience with InterLibrary Loan, circulation, and
- Proven ability to motivate staff.
To apply, submit the following materials:
About Drew University:
- Cover letter
- Contact Information of 3 professional references
Drew University, a Phi Beta Kappa liberal arts university, includes
the College of Liberal Arts, the Drew Theological School and the
Caspersen School of Graduate Studies. Drew is located on a
beautiful campus in Madison, New Jersey, a thriving small town
close to New York City. It has a total enrollment of more than
2,200 students and has 136 full-time faculty members, 96% of whom
hold the terminal degree in their field. The Theological and
Caspersen schools offer master’s and doctoral degrees, and the
College confers BA and BS degrees in over 50 disciplines.
Drew’s one-of-a-kind, leading edge path to an undergraduate degree,
Launch, ensures that every student graduates with a purpose,
sought-after transferable skills, a network of mentors, and an
experience-based résumé—guaranteed. Particularly noteworthy
opportunities for undergraduates include the Charles A. Dana
Research Institute for Scientists Emeriti (RISE),, the Drew Summer
Science Institute (DSSI), the Center for Civic Engagement, as well
as New York City semesters focusing on Communications & Media,
Contemporary Art, Museums & Cultural Management, New York
Theatre, Social Entrepreneurship, Wall Street, and the United