Assistant Director of Employer Engagement
Full or Part Time
Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Under the oversight of the Director of Career and Professional
Development ( CPD ), the Assistant Director of Employer Engagement
will design, guide, and implement all aspects of the university’s
central employer recruiting programs, including the cultivation of
new employers in a wide range of industries, developing both
domestic and international opportunities for students, as well as
the creation of policies governing employer and student
participants in recruitment efforts. The Assistant Director is
responsible for managing the CPD’s recruiting programs and
initiatives. Additionally, the incumbent will foster partnerships
with employers, alumni, donors, volunteers, and student
organizations to develop, sponsor, and promote a variety of CPD
activities focused on career exploration and recruitment. The
Assistant Director will also liaise with other campus stakeholders
to maximize employer outreach and encourage cross-collaboration
within the university.
To foster alumni engagement, the Assistant Director will cultivate
and enrich mentorship, networking, and engagement opportunities for
students and alumni by overseeing all virtual and in-person
mentorship programs, technology, and resources. This position will
manage the CPD’s online mentorship platform and increase peer and
alumni connections for students to cultivate relationships in
addition to increasing internship and career opportunities for
Chapman students and alumni.
Employer Engagement; Outreach and Relationship Management; and
Alumni Engagement and Mentorship Programs
- Foster new and existing partnerships with employers, industry
partners, alumni, donors, parents, and student organizations to
develop and promote a variety of CPD programs and events focused on
career exploration and recruitment.
- Work closely with the Deans and school-based career liaisons to
identify and engage new employer leads for each school.
- Manage and supervise the Employer Engagement Manager and
- Under the guidance of the Director of CPD, strategically
construct and manage the university’s central recruiting
- Establish an employer relationship management system and
maintain a Standard Operating Procedure, including tracking and
quantifying employer touch points (meetings, site visits, emails,
phone calls, etc.).
- Liaise with school-based career liaisons, the Office of Alumni
Engagement, and other key stakeholders, to maximize employer
outreach and engagement, encourage cross-collaboration/coordination
within the university, and increase participation among
- Collaborate with campus partners to facilitate employer and
student engagement on campus, including general and
industry-specific career fairs, networking events, information
sessions, and workshops/panels.
- Collaborate with the Alumni Association and University
Advancement to engage with alumni and donors, including parents and
volunteers, to increase internship and employment opportunities for
students and alumni.
- Oversee central recruiting programs, including career fairs,
on-campus interviews and tabling, resume books, site visits, and
information sessions, by effectively communicating and marketing
their benefits to potential participants.
- Increase unique employer registrations at Chapman’s recruiting
events and programs.
- Implement new recruiting programs to connect Chapman talent
with top employment opportunities.
- Devise and enforce recruiting policies and guidelines for
students, alumni, and employers participating in the CPD’s
- Adhere to federal and state labor laws in advising employers on
recruiting best practices to equitably maximize their visibility
and student outreach.
- Work with and educate the Career Education team on the latest
recruiting trends and advice from employers that they can impart
with students and alumni
- Work with the Career Marketing and Engagement team to generate
recruiting and programming reports to compile annual stats for the
Employer Engagement team and employment reports reflecting on the
level of employer engagement with Chapman University (e.g., hiring
frequency of Chapman students).
- Distribute, collect, and analyze surveys from all events and
fairs, and make recommendations for improvement to the CPD
leadership team based on the feedback received from
- Develop and coordinate internship opportunities (alumni and
employer engagement) and advise students on internship
opportunities (student/academic department engagement).
- Satisfy any revenue goals for the CPD through career fairs,
employer partnership programs, resume books, and other
- Oversee all mentorship programs for the CPD, including
developing, implementing, and engaging members of a mentorship
- Work collaboratively with the career liaisons, the Office of
Alumni Engagement, and other campus partners to foster a cohesive,
university-wide online mentorship program that is accessible to all
students and alumni.
- Provide leadership in the creation and execution of the
mentorship platform campus groups and mentorship programs based on
different campus populations.
- Work with the Director of Career Marketing and Engagement to
establish and enhance communication with prospective and current
users (students and alumni) of the virtual mentorship
- Establish a Standard Operating Procedure, including tracking
and quantifying mentor-mentee touch points (meetings, emails, phone
calls, etc.) and other key metrics
- Drive high engagement rates for mentors and mentees.
- Oversee the Employer Engagement Manager’s maintenance and
support of the mentorship platform and user experience.
- Research, recommend, and, as appropriate, pursue potential new
funding sources to ensure mentorship and internship opportunities
are accessible to all students.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with recruiting or employer
engagement in an academic or related setting.
- Current knowledge of and the ability to stay abreast of
employment trends in general and in particular geographical areas,
industries, and fields to inform CPD’s work with employers and
- Proven ability to manage staff and motivate teams.
- History of building partnerships with corporate leaders, hiring
managers, and human resource professionals and maintaining strong
client relationships to develop and expand employment opportunities
- Strong oral, written, and quantitative and culturally competent
communication skills, including excellent use of grammar and proven
ability to prepare, edit, and proofread documents.
- Superior presentation and written/verbal communication skills
and the ability to represent the university with national and
- Strong ability to manage several different projects
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, and ability to
remain flexible to changing business needs and priorities.
- A high level of professionalism and excellent customer service
skills, including responsiveness to any inquiries from employers,
students, alumni, campus partners, etc.
- Ability to work in a team environment and serve internal and
- High proficiency in CRM systems, SaaS platforms, and Microsoft
- Aptitude to understand and consistently ensure compliance with
university policies, state and federal rules and regulations,
including FERPA and data privacy and security regulations.
- Ability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends and
travel, as needed, to support the work of Chapman and the CPD
- Ability to use sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy and to
maintain confidentiality at all times.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Minimum Number of References
Maximum Number of References
- Experience with project management software, such as Wrike, and
career services technology, such as Handshake, PeopleGrove, VMock
Smart Resume, or other online mentorship, career portal, CRM, or
AI-based technology platforms.
- Experience partnering with alumni, faculty, and academic units
to create career development, networking, and recruiting
opportunities for students and alumni.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter