Job Posting Information
Job Posting Number
Bioinformatics Data Analyst
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$60,000 - $65,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
The Department of Natural Sciences is seeking excellent candidates
for the role ofData Analyst in Bioinformatics
successful candidate will have a strong commitment to excellence in
support and advancement of Bioinformatics research. The candidate
will work closely with the Bioinformatics faculty in the
coordination of mentorship of students and maintaining
undergraduate research activities. The candidate will be involved
in Bioinformatics Lab support and the maintenance of software and
equipment. Additional responsibilities include managing recruitment
efforts, student progress tracking, and program management
activities, organizing student participation in external
opportunities such as mentored research, internships, and the
successful execution of additional activities, as required, to
support student success. Reporting responsibilities may include
tracking research progress, monitoring student engagement in
research, Bioinformatics lab support and supplemental instructional
activities. Our student-focused department requires a candidate
with strong commitment to excellence in teaching and coordination,
as well as a great appreciation for experiential learning to
support our current models for high-impact practice in
undergraduate STEM education.
A Ph.D. or Master of Science in Bioinformatics or related areas.
Ph.D. in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology is preferred.
A minimum of two (2) years research experience in Bioinformatics
data management required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Conditions of Employment
- Ph.D. (preferred) or Master of Science in Bioinformatics,
Computational Biology or related field(s).
- Experience with the development of Bioinformatics tools and
- Programming expertise in R and Python.
- Experience with computer-aided drug design, structural
bioinformatics, and bio-molecular simulations.
- Demonstrated research experience in next-generation sequencing
- Demonstrated research experience working with undergraduate
students. Evidence of participating in experiential learning models
- Demonstrate leadership ability, communication, and
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and
demonstrated ability to work in teams.
- Experience working with various stakeholders, such as students,
faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Experience working with underrepresented minorities in STEM
- Ability to work independently with a strong work ethic.
Offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of due
diligence background check and verification of credentials. Proof
of US citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be
required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are not required but
encouraged for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation
days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and
retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their
dependents at any of the University System of Maryland
For best consideration please apply by November 12, 2022.
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Ph.D. or Master of Science in Bioinformatics or
- * Do you have a minimum two (2) years research experience in
Bioinformatics data management?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3