Blackburn College, a unique four-year liberal arts college with a student-managed work program located in Carlinville, IL, seeks applications for a tenure-track Professor of Psychology beginning Fall 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities
The essential roles, responsibilities, and activities in this position are as follows:
- Teach courses in abnormal psychology, theories of personality, introduction to counseling, applied counseling, ethical and legal issues in mental health, tests and measurements, and course of the candidate’s interest
- Take the lead in promoting and facilitating student internships
- Support efforts to improve students’ communication, critical thinking, and application of psychology skills
- Have competence in research methods and statistics and support student research
- Have experience with or be excited about mentoring and working with student workers
- Provide quality academic advising
- Engage in recruitment efforts for the major
- Contribute to the life of the department and the college through service
Required qualifications include a Ph.D. in clinical or counseling psychology from an APA- approved institution, demonstrated excellence in teaching undergraduate students, and commitment to working with undergraduate populations with diverse levels of preparation and engagement. Interest in teaching social or developmental psychology a plus. Candidates must have a sense of humor. ABDs will be considered but must have a degree in hand by the start of
the 2023-2024 academic year.
Please send a letter of application addressing the above expectations, including a description of what role diversity plays in your classroom, a CV, a statement of teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information of three to five references to: Human Resources, Blackburn College, 700 College Ave., Ludlum 215, Carlinville, IL 62626 or email email@example.com. Employment-based immigration sponsorship is not offered for this position. Phone calls or walk-ins not accepted. Review of applications will begin November 1st and continue until the position is filled.
Blackburn College seeks to build an inclusive community that can engage the interests of a diverse population. We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and sustaining a culture that reflects the diversity of our country, and as such we particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups such as women, people of color, LGBTQ+, veterans, and those with disabilities. Blackburn College is located in Carlinville, Illinois, a small rural community between Springfield, IL and St. Louis, MO and has been called one of the “Best Small Towns in America.” It is the seat of Macoupin County and is within an easy drive to St. Louis, Missouri and Springfield, Illinois.