Job Description Summary:
The HR Business Partner (HRBP) position is responsible for aligning
business objectives with employees (staff and faculty) and
management in designated departments. The position formulates
partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service
to management and staff/faculty that reflects the business
objectives of the University. The HRBP maintains an effective level
of literacy about the department’s operations, goals, and its
•tThis position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does
serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the
Duties and Responsibilities:
Job Duties and Accountabilities:
An Asterisk (*) denotes an “essential job function” for ADA
All items listed below are considered “essential job functions” for
- Conducts weekly meetings with respective leaders and
departments, and build strong working business relationships.
- Consults with management, providing HR guidance when
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the HR group to
develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues.
Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations and
recommends appropriate follow up resolutions.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to
day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and
ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with other departments as
needed/required, including legal counsel, compliance, etc.
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to
management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development,
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work
relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and
- Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- Partners with Management and Recruiter, when needed, to
determine terms for new hires, promotions and transfers.
- Provides guidance and input on department restructures,
performance management, workforce planning and succession
- Identifies training needs for departments and individual
executive coaching needs, and researches/determines plan for
execution of needed training.
- Participates in evaluation and monitoring of training programs
to ensure success. Follows up to ensure training objectives are
- Ability to create and present training information via
in-person or remote presentations to leadership audiences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate
sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances,
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the University’s
hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the
administrative practices related to those factors.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software,
Excel, Powerpoint, MSTeams, Workday.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Minimum of 8 years of experience resolving complex employee
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines,
including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis,
employee relations, diversity, performance management, and federal
and state employment laws.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Higher Education experience
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
United States of America (Exempt)
Samuel Merritt University currently provides base salary ranges for
all positions-on job advertisements-in the United States based on
local requirements. Individual compensation will ultimately be
determined based on a variety of relevant factors including but-not
limited to qualifications, geographic location, and other relevant