Application Deadline Open
Position Title: Director, Government Relations (Government
Department: Government Relations (D)
Position Type: Classified Management/Supervisor
Physical location of the position: Riverside
If off-site, please specify location. RCC Tech B
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Length: 12-month
Salary Range: Grade V
Salary Amount: $ 140,441 - $170,985
Salary Type: Annual
Is this position categorically (grant) funded? No
Under the direction of the Executive Director, External Relations
and Strategic Communications, the Director, Government Relations is
responsible for government relations activities associated with
reaching, serving, and engaging external constituencies through
advocacy, coalition building, programs, projects, and events on
behalf of the District office and its colleges. Key constituencies
include local, state, and federal policy makers, government
relations officials, college leadership, external stakeholders, and
PROVIDES WORK OR LEAD DIRECTION TO:
Assigned District staff and personnel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Master's degree from an accredited institution in political
science, public policy, public administration, public relations, or
related field; and four years of experience in governmental
relations, or a closely related function.
1. Planning and resource development for priority programs.
2. Departmental research, strategic planning; analysis and
assessment of District programs.
3. District business practices.
4. Federal, state, and local funding agency regulations.
5. District policies and procedures.
6. Methods of successful governmental outreach strategies.
7. Supervisory skills and abilities.
8. Faculty and administrative team building.
9. Respond to pending and proposed legislation.
10. State and federal funding sources.
11. Federal and state legislation processes, including organization
procedures and the budget appropriation process.
12. Project management; interpersonal skills using tact, patience,
13. Word processing and spreadsheet software and computer and
information processing systems.
14. Proposal development and project management for educational
15. Oral and written communication skill.
1. Handle large and complex assignments which may include
controversial and/or politically sensitive issues or content.
2. Analyze, summarize and/or review data, report findings,
interpret results, and/or make appropriate recommendations.
3. Interpret and respond to pending and proposed legislation,
including developing and drafting effective position statements and
4. Provide leadership and direction to administrative personnel in
District and college settings for the government relations
5. Supply analytical skills of matching extra mural funding
resources with strategic plans and priority programs.
6. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
college leadership and external partners.
7. Train staff in the preparation of advocacy material.
8. Perform advanced project management techniques, successful event
planning, and implementation.
9. Supervise the work of the staff within the department.
10. Develop and maintain effective relationships with those
contacted in the course of work.
11. Compile and verify data and prepare reports.
12. Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Candidate must demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to and
understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students,
staff, and the community.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Employees must possess the ability to lift,
carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25
pounds. Will require occasional travel.
ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS: Employee works in an office environment
with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and
no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employee may
interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives
in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and
This is an exempt position and is not subject to overtime.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to
1. Plans, develops, and implements strategies for government
outreach by developing and advocating policy positions and programs
through liaisons with elected officials and governmental
2. Handles large, prioritized projects that include government
and/or industry advocacy efforts.
3. Quickly and appropriately identifies, addresses, and mitigates
unforeseen and/or rapidly unfolding events that may negatively
impact relationships between the District/colleges and various
constituencies; keeps senior management appropriately advised and
4. Provides senior management of the District/college updates of
new and/or developing legislation at the local, state, or federal
level affecting funding, programs, and/or services.
5. Leads, directs, supervises, and evaluates assigned staff to
ensure a high-performance environment; establishes performance
requirements and personal development targets.
6. Monitors and interprets federal, state, major foundations
legislations and/or proposed actions and advises senior management
of potential impact.
7. Collaborates with the Grants and Sponsored Programs office in
ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state and/or local
laws, regulations, standards, and guidelines.
8. Maintains in-depth knowledge of the District/college vision,
mission, goals, and strategic objectives, issues of concern, and
9. Performs other related responsibilities as may be
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a Classified Management. Paid vacation, 22 days annually;
and paid accruable sick leave, 12 days annually. A pro-rata
reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time
and less than 12 months. The District provides a health and welfare
benefit package for employees and legal qualifying
The work location and assignment within a job classification is
determined by the District and may be subject to change.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability
of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
The Riverside Community College District is an equal opportunity
employer and recognizes the need to provide reasonable
accommodations to employees with disabilities. For more
information, contact (951) 222-8039.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal
and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the
basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion,
age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color,
ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or
mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in
Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is
contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in
subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or
any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District
employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or
grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX
Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any
employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification,
national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual
orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic
listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any
characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes
set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California
Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly
prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for
the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, 3801 Market Street, Riverside,
CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8595.
Work Hours/Work Days for Classified and Hourly Positions
Only: Monday - Friday 8am-5pm with travel
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Optional Applicant Documents:
Bachelors or Equivalent Transcript
Masters or Equivalent Transcript
Effective Employment Date: Anticipated start date: November 2022 or
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
*It is anticipated that interviews will occur sometime during the
3rd or the 4th week of November.
Please note: The selection process typically concludes within four
to six weeks from the closing date. There are, however, exceptions
to this general guideline. Status updates will be made throughout
the process. Please refer to your account for any updates to the
status of your application.
* An electronic, RCCD on-line application must be completed to be
considered. All portions of the application must be entirely filled
out with all information qualifying an applicant for the position.
Only information on the official RCCD application (not resumes)
will be considered to determine whether an applicant meets the
minimum requirements for the position for which he/she is
* All supporting materials, required or optional, must also be in
electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line
application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted
as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less
than 2 MB in size.
* An application will not be considered complete unless ALL
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS are electronically attached to the application
by the Application Deadline date. An incomplete file may subject
the candidate to disqualification.
* Paper applications and supporting materials, including letters of
recommendation, WILL NOT be accepted! All documents must be
submitted electronically with the online application.
* Letters of reference, IF REQUIRED, must be NON-CONFIDENTIAL and
submitted electronically when applying on-line.
* Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by
8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
* The Riverside Community College District does not require testing
at the initial application filing period. As you progress through
the selection process, you may be required to perform a job-related
test based on the needs of the work area for which you are being
Application Types Accepted: Classified/Management/Confidential