AAAS has an exciting opportunity for an energetic, data minded Recruitment Director to serve as a primary national outreach liaison to broadly disseminate information and raise awareness of both the Science & Technology Policy Fellowships (STPF) program and the impacts of alumni and current fellows to recruit high quality, diverse scientists and engineers across career sectors and stages (early to senior career) and breadth of the disciplines required to meet the broad goals of the program. This is accomplished in part by retaining and engaging current and alumni fellows in AAAS and program initiatives. In addition, the position conceptualizes, plans, directs and implements recruitment, outreach, and alumni marketing, content strategy and programmatic activities for the association’s flagship program.
The position supervises one full-time direct report and will report to the Sr. Director for Outreach Engagement and Communications, works closely with the Alumni Engagement Director, the Director of Communications, the AAAS Meetings department, and many external stakeholders. This is a highly visible position, as the incumbent’s decisions related to promotion of the program and brand can directly affect constituents’ satisfaction and engagement with AAAS.
This position requires occasional early mornings, evenings or weekend hours. Availability to travel domestically up to 40% during busy recruiting periods to staff exhibits and outreach sessions.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Applicant Lead Generation, Marketing, Recruitment & Applicant Nurturing:
- Takes lead responsibility for applicant generation, recruitment campaigns and cultivation activities. Conceptualizes, plans, and executes annual and multiyear, integrated marketing plans encompassing diverse outreach platforms (e.g. Handshake, Marketo, social media and the application portal), strategies and connected advertising targets. Serves as the main public point of contact for STPF recruitment activities through various modalities (e.g. e-mail, phone, online help desks). Represents the S&T Policy Fellowships at professional, governmental, university and community meetings and conferences. Conducts recruitment workshops and delivers presentations digitally and at AAAS convenings and other scientific conferences and meetings.
- Outreach Content Strategy, Program Development & Event Management:
- Conceptualizes and orchestrates virtual and face to face outreach within scientific communities and via scientific meetings, universities, conferences and symposia; plans and supervises annual calendar of multi-platform outreach and recruitment activities; oversees budget, preparation and necessary engagement logistics. Conceptualizes messaging campaigns to facilitate data collection and track campaign outcomes across digital platforms and ROI.
- Stakeholder & Alumni Cultivation:
- Pursues partnerships that will enhance recruitment and contribute to alumni engagement (e.g. other fellowship programs, executive search firms, and national science, policy and advocacy organizations). Also, establishes alumni engagement campaigns related to recruitment efforts and works collaboratively with the Alumni Engagement Manager to inform the annual STPF alumni relations and civic engagement planning.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment & Data Management:
- Develops targets, success benchmarks, conducts focus groups, evaluations, and assesses effectiveness of recruitment, outreach, and fellowship engagement. Monitors industry data on STEM doctorates and post-graduate employment trends, especially for populations underrepresented in STEM, and STPF. Analyzes recruitment data and reports on results and trends. Oversees the production of reports and real-time monitoring of daily campaign performance. Stays abreast of marketing, outreach and recruitment strategies, and best practices in alumni networking, and building online communities of practice.
- Staff Management, Budgeting & Policy Development:
- Manages daily operation and implementation of recruitment, outreach and alumni fellow engagement activities. Supervises and mentors designated professional support staff, the Marketing Operations Manager, including assigning work, monitoring progress, and providing training. Collaborates with SPD to develop outreach, recruitment and alumni engagement budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree with five to ten years of experience (a bachelor’s degree and seven to ten years of relevant experience may also be acceptable).
- Experience in marketing, strategic communications, public relations, or a related field, is required.
- Experience working in a non-profit or academic environment with STEM faculty, post-docs, graduate students, fellowships, admissions or alumni relations, and a background in science, engineering, or science policy is a plus.
- Development and implementation of a recruitment strategy; program management, and oversight of events.
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- It is essential to be articulate and knowledgeable about career paths for doctoral level scientists and engineers, general scientific issues, and science in the federal sector.
- An understanding of digital marketing, promotional techniques, branding and content strategy.
- Knowledge of social media marketing, marketing automation platforms, and industry specific engagement communities needed.
- Seeking excellent verbal and written communications skills, project management, organizational ability and strong attention to detail and comfort managing competing deadlines.
- Must be a strong public speaker, proficient and comfortable presenting to large groups.
- Professional and diplomatic manner; ability to work with individuals from different disciplinary and cultural backgrounds, to coordinate activity among staff and departments, and to facilitate positive connections between high level stakeholders in academia, nonprofits, government and industry.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, set priorities for multiple projects, meet deadlines under pressure, and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Power Point, required. Prior experience/familiarity with data analysis, Salesforce and marketing automation, a plus.
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by November 12, 2022. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A member of Human Resources will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position