- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 10, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning, Research Administration, Business & Administrative Affairs, Development & Advancement, Grants & Contracts
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Massey Cancer Center
“To improve the lives of all Virginians by delivering cutting-edge cancer care through patient-centered prevention and treatment; high-impact, innovative research; community input and engagement; and education and training of the next generation of researchers and healthcare professionals.”
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Massey Cancer Center is a nationally ranked cancer center located in the heart of Downtown Richmond. All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package that includes choices for health, vision, and dental coverage, life-insurance, short and long-term disability coverage, retirement planning, tax-deferred annuity and cash match programs, flexible spending accounts, tuition benefits, significant paid-time off,12 paid holidays, and more. Explore our benefits further here: https://hr.vcu.edu/current-employees/benefits/university-andacademic-professional-benefits/
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Massey Cancer Center (MCC) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Level Pre-Award Grants Administrator to support MCC’s research goals of increasing external funding. The successful candidate for this position will provide grants and contracts proposal development support for our cancer center members.
The ideal candidate in this position will directly be responsible for:
- Pre-award management of MCC assigned sponsored research portfolio.
- Overall pre-award project lead, successfully steering and develop junior level staff.
- Working with senior leadership and scientific faculty across disciplines to develop project proposals and manage active grants, ensuring compliance with financial and regulatory requirements. Areas of responsibility include budgets; human subjects; grant reporting; subcontracts; financial monitoring and planning.
- Perform all tasks particular to multi-component grants, such as P30 (Center) and P01 (Program Project), as assigned, including specialized annual progress reports; more detailed fund allocation and financial reporting; develop supplemental funding requests; manage inter-institutional coordination & subcontract arrangements.
- In consultation with the PI, help manage the entire proposal process, from concept development through proposal submission, including management of meetings, task assignments, timelines, document sharing, and version control.
- Providing non-technical writing, formatting and editing support. Inclusive of budget justifications, Biographical Sketches, institutional background descriptions, letters of support and other proposal documents as needed.
- Managing cancer related limited submission competitions.
- Keeping abreast of new and ongoing federal and non-federal funding opportunities and inform MCC members; provide guidelines, due dates, and advice to PIs; and handle all non-research proposal components.
- Clearly communicating to internal and external audiences, sponsor and university policies, processes, and requirements related with research proposals to faculty, staff, postdoctoral research associates, and students.
- Review and assembly of grant proposals according to university and sponsor policies and guidelines.
- Preparing, revising, and approving research proposal budgets in accordance with university and sponsor policies and guidelines.
- Create and maintain descriptions for facilities and other resources as well as grant application templates according to sponsor policies to standardize grant application submissions
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years’ experience in research administration required.
- Massey Cancer Center supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
- 6+ years’ experience with sponsored project and contract research proposals submissions with an interest and willingness to learn and acquire the skills to strengthen personal and team development.
- NIH budget planning, development and revisions as needed.
- Ability to review, interpret and apply university and federal policies, procedures, laws, and regulations concerning assigned projects.
- Excellent computer skills in the advanced use of MS Office with emphasis on Excel spreadsheets, MS Word, and Adobe. Capacity to use a variety of online internal and external systems with an ability to learn new systems and software applications with ease.
- Ability to be precise, thorough, reliable, work independently, adapt to frequent changes in work assignments, and possess the ability to reason, think logically and analyze situations to resolve problems.
- Must be able to prioritize, and manage competing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills are required. Must have the ability to effectively and clearly answer inquiries of faculty, staff, and various customer groups and maintain effective communication with fellow sponsored program staff.
- Demonstrated ability to research, investigate, analyze and
evaluate all project related data regarding
budgets for assigned projects.
- Prefer 6+ years of experience in research administration in the areas of proposal development, financial management, grant progress reporting, and project close-out, including a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and OMB Uniform Guidance for Federal Awards.
- General understanding of IRB and IACUC policies pertaining to regulatory requirements in animal and human research is a plus.
- Knowledge of OMB cost principles and Uniform Guidance 2CFR200, with an advanced understanding preferred.
- The ability to lead and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
Department: Massey Cancer Center
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt
Contact Name: Massey Human Resources
Contact Email: MasseyHR@vcu.edu
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert