Research Compliance Senior Specialist
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 10, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Other Academic Affairs, Research Administration, Business & Administrative Affairs, Grants & Contracts, Legal Affairs, Executive, Executive Directors
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Under limited supervision of the Director of Research Compliance, the Research Compliance Senior Specialist will manage university compliance with federal regulations, state law, funding agency regulations, and related CSU and SJSU policies. The Senior Specialist will provide guidance and education for faculty staff and students in responsible conduct of research, conflicts of interest, export control, research misconduct, and other related compliance areas. The Senior Specialist will establish internal administrative procedures for the Research Compliance Unit and collaborate with other administrative units and academic departments at SJSU to develop administrative procedures for compliance functions. The Senior Specialist will also be the stateside liaison to the SJSU Research Foundation to ensure that faculty disclosures submitted in support of external funding are reviewed, and any potential conflicts are adequately documented and managed.
- Summarize and communicate SJSU Research Compliance program, including internal policies and processes for complying with federal regulations, state law, and related policies of the CSU and SJSU
- Establish and implement internal administrative procedures for the Research Compliance Unit
- Work collaboratively with other administrative units and academic departments to develop administrative procedures for compliance functions and implement internal controls
- Gather and report RCU Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), prepare annual report for strategic planning process
- Coordinate response to situations involving confidential or sensitive information with discretion
- Analyze, develop, and implement administrative systems to support Research Compliance Unit programs and initiatives, including a Responsible Conduct of Research seminar series
- Develop and implement training programs for faculty and staff on conflicts of interest, conflicts of commitment, export control, research ethics and misconduct, stem cell research, and other topics under RCU jurisdiction
- Respond to, carry out, and manage unplanned projects on short notice
- Ability to interpret and apply federal and state regulations, complex sponsor requirements, and CSU and SJSU policies, and recommend actions to resolve complex issues
- Thorough knowledge of relevant policies and procedures, including personnel, regulatory compliance, accounting, purchasing, and financial management of contracts and grants
- Critical thinking skills to develop recommendations based on an understanding of applicable regulations and local policies, analysis of information, and awareness of current issues
- Ability to make independent decisions, exercise sound judgement, and know when to obtain guidance from the Director of Research Compliance
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with university employees and external agencies
- Ability to independently research, interpret, develop, communicate and implement regulations, codes, policies, procedures, guidelines and precedents for assigned projects and initiatives
- Ability to research and analyze data from a variety of sources and generate reports including skill in identifying, investigating, analyzing and recommending solutions to problems or challenges
- Skilled in establishing relationships, excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Ability to write reports, guidelines, and procedures with extensive use of software tools
- Ability to collaborate across the university to achieve results
- Ability to travel for in-person meetings and conferences
- Ability to utilize applications for creating, organizing, and conducting presentations both online and in-person
- Bachelor Degree and/or equivalent training
- Six (6) years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Advanced Degree in a related field
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in one or more areas of academic research compliance, to include performing compliance functions in academic research administration
- Extensive experience in one or more areas of research compliance
- Four (4) or more years of related work experience
- Compliance committee management experience
- Experience in compiling and analyzing metrics, writing annual reports
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $8,334/month - $9,167/month
CSU Salary Range: $6,322/month - $12,285/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 05, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert