The position of the Choral Accompanist is to provide support to the Central State University Chorus through accompaniment on piano, organ, and other keyboard instruments. The choral accompanist works closely with the Choral Director during rehearsals and performances that may occur during and outside of the regular school day, assisting with related tasks, and serving as a secondary resource for students in the choral program. The position is part-time.
Reports to the Choral Director
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates strong technical and musical piano skills as a soloist and accompanist.
- The choral accompanist must be able to play masterfully in the gospel style, improvise, play by ear, sight-read, and play all standard classical repertoire.
- Works collaboratively with all of the choral ensembles.
- Accompanies ensembles in a variety of settings (e.g., rehearsals, concerts, choral competitions, university convocations, annual spring recruitment tour, and holiday concerts, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring professional musical support for the choral program. Must also be available for weekend run-out performances and Sunday services.
- Analyzes and learns multiple pieces of assigned music per semester and prior to rehearsal and performances (e.g., correct tempos, challenging transitions, dynamics, etc.) for the purpose of enhancing the instructional program and ensuring efficient use of rehearsal time and performance schedules.
- Assists Choral Director with a variety of student related activities (e.g., recordings for individual students, practices with individuals or small groups, etc.) for the purpose of supporting and ensuring the success of choral program.
- Assists Choral Director with administrative duties related to the choral program.
- Other duties as assigned
Must possess skills relevant to the duties and responsibilities as listed